Adding a water filter to hot water heater supply line

Old 05-03-10, 11:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a water filter to hot water heater supply line

I have purchased a rust & sediment filter to install on the 1/2" supply line to my new gas hot water heater. The supply line is brass and I intend to use standard metal threaded plumbing fittings to install.

The filter housing is polystyrene and has 1/2" female threads. I haven't done a lot of major plumbing work these past few years and I'm wondering if the are newer products I should consider using on this installation.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-10, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by grandspan View Post
The supply line is brass and I intend to use standard metal threaded plumbing fittings to install.
Is it brass or soldered copper?

I recently installed a whole-house filter - with a plastic housing and FIP threads. I used galvanized fittings to connect to the filter housing. You should use both teflon tape and pipe dope to keep the plastic threads from leaking. I've had trouble with them leaking, so get them snug (but not so tight that the plastic might deform or crack).

Also, it's a good idea to install sufficient bypass and isolation valving to facilitate changing the filter. Add unions to make future maintenance easier.

If your supply piping is soldered copper, you can use 1/2" copper adapters (MIP x female copper socket). But you'll need unions that will let you solder without overheating the plastic filter housing.

You could use plastic pipe approved for hot water (such as CPVC) - but personally, I wouldn't.

Last edited by Mike Speed 30; 05-03-10 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-03-10, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the info. I am aware not to overtighten the connections to the plastic housing. I read a couple of reviews on water filter sellers websites complaining about cracked housings and i'm thinking that they probably got too strong when doing the installation.

I have threaded brass pipe and I could also sweat rigid copper tubing but I also see that my local HDepot carries PEX tubing and "push in" fittings and that looks like it might be an easier install.
Anyone have experience and opinions on using PEX? Check their website:
New Products | Cash Acme