8184 g 4009 Honeywell question

Old 05-03-10, 07:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
8184 g 4009 Honeywell question

i have the 8184 g 4009control for the boiler. now i am new at this, however can troubleshoot and do have some tech background. the problem is that the boiler will not fire even though it is getting 120v to the 8184 box. i checked that there was 120v going to the 8184 box, then checked to see if the orange (coming out of the 8184) to neutral- 0V. i tripped the reset and reset it back again and sometimes there is 120 V at the orange to neutral sometimes there is not. When there is 120V at orange to neutral the burner fires good and keeps runniung but when no voltage here the bruner shuts off.
THe question: is it the 8184 bad or is there other parameters that would trigger the 120V between orange to neutral even thought there is 120V from the thermostat controller box to the 8184.
there is a FF and TT on the 8184 but I do not know what they are for and how to troubleshoot them. I tried to ohm out FF and saw it dancing around 1500 to 1700.

Thanks for any troubleshooting tips.

Old 05-04-10, 11:25 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The T-T is for either a thermostat connection or a jumper dependent on the application. If you disconnect one of the wires you should read between 20 and volts a/c.
The ohms on the F-F for the cad cell is a good reading.
What is the heat demand coming from? Thermostat, multi-zone relay, zone valves?
If the control is energizing and no voltage out of the orange wire to neutral that it is a bad control. If you are not getting a completed circuit through the t-t terminals then it is a heat demand issue.

Old 05-04-10, 12:19 PM
B
the heat demand is from the theremostats. I have 4 zones and what i did to test that i was getting the "demand" was to lower all zones except one. I turned that zone way up to 80 F and thus had the thermostat call for the boiler to run. I also made sure that there was 0V at the primary (which is the thermostat calling the unit to run, the other zones were off(24V)) and the secondary was throwing out 120 V to the 8184.

Does it mean that I have a bad 8184.

Also the TT is connected to a "wire" that is crimped at the end and it terninates at the bottom of the boiler. It does not go anywhere but ends in a crimp under the boiler itself(just sensing the temp-maybe?)
Thanks

Old 05-04-10, 02:55 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Also the TT is connected to a "wire" that is crimped at the end and it terninates at the bottom of the boiler. It does not go anywhere but ends in a crimp under the boiler itself(just sensing the temp-maybe?)
Huh?

Yer talking about the T T connection on the 8184?

That should just be a short jumper loop from one terminal to the other... a cruddy connection where those are crimped together could be your whole problem...

There's also an aquastat, or other 'high limit' on the boiler which is sending the 120 V to the 8184, correct?

Old 05-04-10, 06:13 PM
B
i went ahead and replaced the 8184 with a similar replacement from a heating supplier. the boiler started up just fine with the new control as soon as there was a demand for heat. The main reason i changed the 8184 was that the red led would not come on when i would trip it-so i thought maybe bad.

i will change the crimpo to just short between the TT. thanks NJ Trooper for this tip,maybe that could save future problems. thanks again for all the input.
this forum is great.

Old 05-05-10, 06:49 PM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Don't remove that wire too fast. Is this an Burnham LE or New Yorker?
If so that is a temp sensor that determines if the front door is closed properly or a bad gasket. It would need to be there.

Old 05-05-10, 07:24 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
OK, then if it IS one of them, maybe the door isn't closed properly, or the gasket is bad! maybe?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: