Trying to Install Zone Valve

Old 05-12-10, 04:26 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trying to Install Zone Valve

Hello,

I just bought a house, 22 years old and unexperienced. I noticed that a zone valve in my basement was not working properly. The zone valve connects to the thermostat on the second floor of my house. I determined that the thermostat upstairs was bad, so I removed the thermostat and just connected the 2 thermostat wires together to do testing on the zone valve. I think the Zone Valve may be wired incorrectly.

There are 2 Yellow Wires and 2 Red Wires. The Yellow wires are connected to the 2 wires on the thermostat. The Red wires are connected to the Gas furnace that runs the baseboard heat. I have looked over the manual and a lot of the stuff confuses me, so if someone has an English answer that would be appreciated. I got the motor on the valve to run by directly connecting the yellow wires to the furnace, but the motor for the zone valve got real hot. If someone could just tell me, without abbreviating heavily, where the wires go then I would no longer have to decipher the terminology.

I have a thermostat connected on the first floor of my house that works..... It is not connected to a zone valve and just operates the furnace and down stairs heat. If I can get the zone valve to just open when the thermostat on my second floor tells it to, then I would be happy with that.

I am thinking that I may need a new zone valve motor, I just want to make sure it is connected properly before I do.

HoneyWell Zone Valve # V8043E1012

Old 05-12-10, 08:58 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here goes.
Thermostat is just a temperature responsive switch.
The zone valve is the same as a light bulb, a load, but instead of emitting light it powers a motor.
What you are missing is the power source.

A 24 VAC transformer.

Wire R (red) of the transformer to R on the stat.
Wire W (white) on the stat to one of the motor leads.
Wire the other motor lead back to the C (black) of the transformer.

If all things work, then when the stat calls for heat the zone motor will open the valve and close the end switch. The end switch will call the boiler / circulator and heat and flow should follow.

cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: