Back Flow Valve Needed on TT System

Old 05-18-10, 10:56 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Back Flow Valve Needed on TT System

I recently installed a Solo 110 with a Smart 40 storage tank. They did an excellent install, but I have a question since the heating system is over.
I have a very simple setup just the one loop for CH and the DHW loop.
This is my first summer season with my new equipment and I have noticed that when there is a call for DHW that the return line of the system gets backed up with hot water. The system has a common return line for CH and DHW and I was wondering if the installer should have installed a back flow valve in the section of the return line to provides CH.
If the DWH is on more that 5 minutes, I can feel heat in a couple of my baseboard heaters. I am now trying to cool the house so I do not need any extra heat.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-10, 02:30 PM
T
yes they sure should have

Old 05-18-10, 03:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I would say probably yes... there should have been something done to prevent heating the home when there's a DHW call. If there's a pump for each the CH and the DHW, then it might be as simple as changing the pumps for ones with internal check valves. If it's done with a single pump and zone valves, might be something more... flow check valves might need to be installed.

Can you post pics of the install?

Old 05-18-10, 05:27 PM
T
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
I would say probably yes... there should have been something done to prevent heating the home when there's a DHW call. If there's a pump for each the CH and the DHW, then it might be as simple as changing the pumps for ones with internal check valves. If it's done with a single pump and zone valves, might be something more... flow check valves might need to be installed.

Can you post pics of the install?
The Solo 110 has a built in grundfos 15-58 three speed.
Suppose you could open it and install a check, but it would be easier to add them in the field pipework I'd think

Old 05-18-10, 07:42 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Isn't the check standard on the 15-58 ?

and the pump on the boiler is for the boiler loop... and the system should have been piped P/S... correcto?

So, if it is P/S, then there must also be another pump for the CH loop...

I still wanna see pics.

Old 05-19-10, 04:22 AM
T
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Isn't the check standard on the 15-58 ?

and the pump on the boiler is for the boiler loop... and the system should have been piped P/S... correcto?

So, if it is P/S, then there must also be another pump for the CH loop...

I still wanna see pics.
Checks are optional on OEM pumps.
The solo 110 does not ALWAYS need hydraulic isolation, the healoss thru the boiler is low enough that it can supply the boiler flow and still have head left for the system.

The indirect comes of a third line, it's tee'd into the outlet of the heat exchanger and the inlet to the CH pump.

Old 05-20-10, 05:48 AM
V
There is two pumps. One internal for CH and one external for DHW.
There is no noticeable heat on the supply side where the internal pump is housed, just on the common return side. I have a ball valve on the return side that I have closed for summer until I find out if I should install something else.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old 06-15-10, 06:24 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
On piping applications utilizing a single
zone or other recognized piping design
arrangements, it is recommended that the
installer uses flow/check valves with
weighted seats at or near the appliance to
prevent gravity circulation.

http://www.triangletube.com/document...0%20Manual.pdf

Old 06-16-10, 07:13 PM
T
Originally Posted by VetteGarage View Post
There is two pumps. One internal for CH and one external for DHW.
There is no noticeable heat on the supply side where the internal pump is housed, just on the common return side. I have a ball valve on the return side that I have closed for summer until I find out if I should install something else.
I will always try to put a flow check as close to the top return line on the Smart series tanks. This prevents flow thru the tank during a CH call, and I have seen many times where a micro flow will develop in the line off the return pipe. This will bleed heat out of the tank and increase your standby loss of the tank.

You also NEED a check on the return to prevent heat from migrating up the return during a DHW call in the summer.
You could use a check in the pump to control flow, but you still need at the very least a heat trap at the return junction between the Ch flow path and the DHW flow path.

Get the installer back (hopefully you can) and get them to install the checks.