Buderus Gb142 and Water softener

Old 05-24-10, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buderus Gb142 and Water softener

Hi all,
I am having a reputable heating company install a new GB142 and ST120 indirect in my home. Everything I read states to not use softened water to fill or for makeup water (because of the aluminum heat exchanger). My installer wasn't aware of this restriction or about adding any anti corrosive to the system when using soft water. The system is being installed as I type. I did see in the product literature (came with the boiler) where it states to not use softened water. There is an untreated line running right below where the boiler is being installed (used for an untreated outdoor hydrant). Should I insisted that they fill with this and pipe the make up water from this source? How important is this? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-10, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Chlorides is the worst thing for a boiler no matter what it is made of. DO NOT USE SOFTENED WATER. The chlorides will eat the boiler up over time.
Chlorides will even eat away cast iron boilers. Wicked stuff.
Now with the scare put in you if the boiler never feeds fresh water again it is not a great concern. Make sure the system is tight.
I may consider having the water tested from the boiler to determine the amount of chlorides and check with the manufacturer. I know limitation on cast iron boilers is <100 ppm.

Old 05-25-10, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by jhetri01 View Post
Should I insisted that they fill with this and pipe the make up water from this source? How important is this?
Yes. Very. Show them the manual.

Old 05-25-10, 05:38 AM
Thanks, I'm going to have them use the untreated supply...They should be here in a few hours. Thank you so much for the quick replies!

Old 05-25-10, 06:12 AM
I feel the need to express again a tight system. If you need a water softener you have hard water. If you use un-treated water and you have some small system leaks the hard make-up water could be as bad as soften water but instead of chloride issues it is mineral issues blocking up the heat exchanger. Just do a quick scan of your system looking for growths on fittings or vents.

Old 05-25-10, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the advice...the gb is replacing an older 22 years peerless...I uncover all the baseboard radiators yearly and have never seen any leaks..I can't speak to the piping in the floor or the walls... I don't think there are any plans to long term pressure test the system....The hard water vs the salt is exactly why I posted....assuming and you know what that does, the system is tight there is only so much calcium per unit of water that can deposit on the exchanger...so hopefully we won't be introducing new water into the system very often....I really appreciate you all taking the time...The installer spoke with Boderus and confirmed they don't like artificially softened water...now if they can get through the wiring of the am10 and everything works....I'll be very happy...I will say all these Fancy controls scares me a little....glad for the 10 year warranty

Old 05-25-10, 04:07 PM
NJT
Is your water source city? or private well?

Was the softener installed because the water actually TESTED hard? or was it ASSUMED hard? It might be worthwhile to have the water tested and see if you really need the softener... if you don't need it, 5h1tcan it and save the money you spend on salt and buy beer instead! Beer 4U2

(I personally am acquainted with a couple rather unscrupulous persons who can convince most people of the need for a softener, even if their water is perfectly fine... that's why I'm sayin'...)

Old 05-25-10, 05:44 PM
The water is "city" water. Our locale draws water from 11 wells around the area, treats it and pipes to all the homes, they do supplement with another local water company when needed. The Kinetico was there when I bought the house 4 years ago. When I moved in, I had the local dealer test the water and verify it's operation. At the time (after doing several colorful tests) he said the unit was working properly. The water should probably be retested, but that will have to wait. Honestly, I've done nothing to the unit except replace the whole house pre-filter and add salt.....I know from living in another home down the street from here (on the same water system) that our water is hard. We had it tested (I dont remember the numbers) and you could tell by our fixture (house was only 9 years old) the the water was hard...many of the fixtures should have been replaced when we moved out....and I would love to have some extra money for beer!