Toe kick blower


Old 06-10-10, 12:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toe kick blower

I think that's what they're called

We're putting in a new kitchen in a few weeks and I'm a little confused....

I know we need toe kick blower under one of the cabinets because the heater runs along the back wall (hot water radiators, oil heat).

1. The electrician and plumber should come in before the cabinet, correct? Do they have to know exactly where the cabinet is going or can they rough it in and we can move it?
2. does it replace the baseboard or attach to it?

Any recommendations for brands? Should I just let my plumber order one?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-10, 02:34 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S. Midwest
Posts: 1,340
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beacon Morris is one brand. You can google "kickspace heaters."

I think the new cabinet will be lowered over the heater and the cabinet then fastened to the floor. So, yes, the plumbing and electrical need to be ready. A removable hatch needs to be cut in the floor of the cabinet to allow maintenance access to the heater - and of course, there needs to be a cutout in cabinet's kickspace for the heater vent.

Is there a basement under the kitchen? That will simplify things.

My suggestion would be to have the plumber furnish the heater and coordinate with the other trades, including cabinetry, electrical, and carpentry.

Bleeding air out of a kickspace heater can be a little difficult. I would ask the plumber to install fast-flush valving: a hose bib and an isolation valve on the return line from the heater (in the basement, preferably).
Old 06-10-10, 03:32 PM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,174
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We use flexible lines from the floor to the heater cabinet so it may be slide in and out from the toe kick space.
Many units have a bleed screw on the front to facilitate purging air, if dedicated piping is not an option.
Old 06-10-10, 03:54 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is over the basement space so wiring/plumbing should have no issues.

We have a plumber and an electrician. I'm the GC My cousin is the carpenter.

I'll either help or get in the way.

Beer 4U2
Old 06-15-10, 06:53 AM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 29
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Beacon Morris is very good. Follow their install for piping. Most want a monoflow tee installed to direct flow to the unit. Recommend to install a 1" x 1/2 monoflo tee so you wont restrict flow thru your baseboard.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: