CPVC for hydronic manifold?

Old 10-25-10, 08:25 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
CPVC for hydronic manifold?

I'm building a hydronic heating system using a wood burning boiler with a gas boiler back-up. The manifold for hot water distribution will accomodate three zones with 2 to 4 circuits in each zone. I would like to fabricate the manifold using cpvc piping and valves for ease of assembly and future modifications and additions. The water temperature and pressure would be within cpvc specifications. What do you think?

Slim

Old 10-25-10, 02:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! CPVC is easy to work with, but don't use cpvc valves. Whoever designed them should have been tarred and feathered. They do not, over time, close completely and become more difficult to turn as time goes on. I would use the cpvc piping, but use brass ball valves for the manifold itself. Of course PEX is easier to use. Just an observation.

Old 10-25-10, 03:19 PM
M
I would be leery of using CPVC for hydronic heat. It is often used for plumbing potable water, either hot or cold.

My understanding is that CPVC's temp rating is 180 deg F (compared to 200 deg for many versions of PEX). Also, is CPVC available with an oxygen barrier (necessary for hot-water heating)?

CPVC for drinking water is often connected with glue (which I don't completely trust), although I think SharkBites for CPVC are available, too.

I would prefer using pre-fabricated manifolds (copper or PEX): Radiant Heat Manifolds , Wirsbo Radiant Heat Manifolds , Radiant PEX Manifolds - PexSupply.com

Last edited by Mike Speed 30; 10-25-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 03:48 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I personally would not even consider it, even if local building codes (which should govern and dictate your installation) allow it.

Old 10-25-10, 04:42 PM
M
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
I personally would not even consider it.
I am unaware of CPVC being advertised or advocated for hydronic heat. If CPVC manufacturers thought it was good for hydronic heat, I'd expect to see some data or info - like PEX manufacturers that continuously beat their drums.

Old 10-26-10, 05:33 PM
T
CPVC has an oxygen permeability rating that is fine for hydronics work, provided it's sch 40 pipe and usually sch 80 fittings.
Watch what pipe and glue you use as not all pipe and glue are actual solvent welds.
A true solvent weld will not ever come out at the fitting.

I was going to use it for a big job I had lined up (64,000 sqft factory, all inflow)
Then I got prices....
Pipe is about 3 times what iron pipe is (in the larger diameters) and fittings are more.
We just are not there yet I suppose.

Build out of black iron or copper... it's easy enough and industry proven

Old 10-29-10, 07:45 AM
G
CPVC for Radiant Heating

Hey, thanks, guys. I'm going to do a functional mock-up (I'm a novice) with CPVC, then copper for the final. I want long term reliability and a panel that is show-case. Yep, more work, and a few more bucks, but what the heck. 10-4?

Old 10-29-10, 02:31 PM
NJT
Yeah, copper is so much purtier than cpvc... you will be getting out the polishing ball on the electric drill and the Simichrome... and follow with clear lacquer I presume?... (I've been known to paint the MC electric cables gloss black, so I'm 'down' with yer program!... not to mention the air brush job on the side panel )

Since it's almost Halloween...

Old 10-29-10, 02:41 PM
M
The red-painted flapper on the barometric flue damper is way over the top. I'm sure it didn't come that way from Field.

Old 10-29-10, 03:32 PM
NJT
Everybody loves that touch! They usually notice that before they notice the skulls and fire on the jacket... I was gonna letter it STOP, but I've actually retired that one... there's a new one now that's not customized.

Old 10-29-10, 03:47 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I wonder if that painted during a heat call.

Old 10-29-10, 04:51 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Darn it, Trooper, get a new picture. I can't stand seeing that test switch hanging off the burner.

Oh, on the subject of CPVC for a manifold...DON'T! Plastic piping gets brittle with age.

Old 10-29-10, 05:32 PM
NJT
I just post that every now and then to get yer goat Furd!

That test switch is long gone... and that shiny new flue pipe ain't as shiney either... but then, neither am I !

Old 10-30-10, 05:12 AM
X
where's my air scoop?

Old 10-30-10, 07:48 AM
NJT
Still on the shelf waiting for the new boiler... along with a pile of other brand new parts... still... waiting...

it's right next to your CD! soon... I swear...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: