Zone valves won't close after thermostat install

Old 10-28-10, 02:56 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zone valves won't close after thermostat install

I have a very old Burnham boiler system with White Rogers zone control valves. This system worked just fine last year, but over the summer I went to Lowes and bought new digital Hunter thermostats (for a boiler system) to replace my old fashioned no brand non digital thermostats.

My reason for replacing the old ones is they did not read temperature correctly. When it was 73 the thermostats read 58-70. (varied from zone to zone).

This season when I had the heating company service my boiler, everything turned on perfectly; but when the set temperature is reached, the thermostats click to turn off but the zone valves stay open.

They proceeded to tell me my boiler requires special thermostats that are very pricey to operate correctly. So before I spend over 300 bucks on thermostats, could anyone tell me why the zone valves open correctly, the boiler turns on correctly, but the zone vavles do not close and the boiler does not turn off when the thermostats are switched off?

Old 10-28-10, 03:06 PM
T
if the thermostats are the "power robbing" type than they may be pulling enough current to keep the zone valve open.
The cure is a resistor in line with the zone valve.
You will need to look at the thermostat manual to see what valve that resistor need be.

Old 10-28-10, 04:00 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
And I'm quite sure that they just happened to have a whole box of them pricey thermostats on the service truck, right? And they would gladly install them for you for an exorbitant discounted price, but only if you said yes, RIGHT NOW! Sign here sir...

Old 10-28-10, 04:01 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Tell us what model thermostat you have...

and per Grady's post below (hi Grady!) what model zone valves you have...

Last edited by NJT; 10-28-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Not sure about your particular zone valves but some need to be powered both to open & close.

Old 10-28-10, 08:05 PM
T
true.......................

Old 10-29-10, 12:34 AM
N
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Not sure about your particular zone valves but some need to be powered both to open & close.
This is the case, it needs power to both open and close the zone valves. I am just going to bite the bullet and let them install the "correct" thermostats. It's getting too cold in the house so I dont have time to fiddle with it.

Thank you for your responses though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: