boiler UPGRADE and sizing help LongIsland NY suffolk county

Old 11-10-10, 03:57 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler UPGRADE and sizing help LongIsland NY suffolk county

So a few years ago i replaced my boiler. I installed it my self, then learned about this site afterwards and learned many things. I know my boiler now is over sized. I now have a peerless boiler ECT-04 with riello 40-f10 oil burner. I have a 1.25 gph nozzel. I currently have it setup as a cold start with a becket heat manager system. I also have a 60 gal super store water heater.
I am no boiler guy but a contractor. I am redoing my basement floor(waterproofing) and i also will be moving the boiler. I want to repipe the boiler to really clean things up.(mount plumbing on wall with diamond plate and so on) I enjoy doing work around my house.
I have not did a heatloss. There any sites that have a free program?

I am also considering in changing my boiler. Something more efficent, any ideas?
I have a 2 story home built in 1969. its 2700 sqft. i have all new windows with no insulation on the exterior of my home. all the walls are insulated and i also put an extra layer of r19 in my attic. I have 3 zones in the house and seperate zone for water heater.
My heat is hot water base board.
Is it worth upgrading the boiler?
Or just repipe it.
If i do repipe, should ihave all 1.25 pipes return and suppy on the boiler then go 3/4?
should i invest into a outdoor system?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-10, 04:18 PM
J
Any chance for you to get gas heat? If so, a gas mod/con boiler with outdoor reset is about as good as it gets. If you have to stay with oil - no clue, never dealt with it.

Old 11-10-10, 05:32 PM
T
no stuck with oil. is propane an option?better?

Old 11-10-10, 05:49 PM
M
Your current boiler is only a "few years" old? You can estimate the fuel savings and the payback years. But, I think it unlikely it would be economic.

This might not be the best time of year to move, re-pipe, or replace your boiler. For heat-loss programs, Google Slant/Fin. The program's download site is a bit obscure - maybe others here can give you the link.

Old 11-10-10, 06:12 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Tony, Tony, Tony, now you wanna rip it all out and start all over again? seriously?

Old 11-12-10, 09:41 AM
T
lol, thats right trooper. I actually enjoy working on this. I am gonna have to repipe it either way to move the boiler, so if im gonna upgrade or install the correct size boiler now is the time to do it. Another issue i have is the riello burner is so loud. its right beneath my living room.

Old 11-12-10, 03:52 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, I guess it brings meaning to "Hydronics as Hobby" ! I'm seriously afflicted my own self, so I can empathize...

Have fun!

Old 11-12-10, 06:49 PM
X
Diamond plate? Bah. 3/4 plywood is fine.

Keep the boiler. Add a tekmar 361 and a boilerbuddy.com buffer tank with variable-speed injection on the distribution side per tekmar essay e021.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Let us know how it goes.