Tekmar thermostat rebooting itself

Old 11-21-10, 08:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tekmar thermostat rebooting itself

My system is up and running using a Tekmar 420 boiler reset module plus a Tekmar 335 zone controller to control the boiler. There are 5 Tekmar 542 thermostats feeding the 335 panel. As the total load of the 5 thermostats and 5 zone valves exceeds the internal transformer's rating, a separate transformer is installed to provide power to the thermostats in accordance with the 335 wiring instructions.

What I've noticed since the system went online a few weeks ago is that occasionally a thermostat will appear to reboot itself. The screen will go blank, then every LCD segment will light up, some characters will flash, and then it'll go back to normal. If it was in the middle of a heating call, it'll resume the call after a few seconds. I've seen at least 3 of the 5 installed thermostats do this.

This happens very sporadically, as far as I can tell (I think maybe 3-4 times in the last 3 weeks), but since it is so intermittent I can't either be sure it's not happening more often (when I don't happen to be looking at the system). I also can't tell whether this is happening to all the thermostats at once (suggesting a system issue) or just one at a time.

I've checked all the connections, and they all appear to be good. There's 24VAC at the output of the transformer, and at the input of the thermostats.

Any ideas?

Old 11-21-10, 09:38 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I know this is a long shot, but I'm gonna throw it out there just for ha-ha's...

You got any of them pesky ham radio operators nearby? or maybe a 50KW commercial station?

Old 11-21-10, 01:01 PM
J
Not that I know of, but I suppose there might be a ham out there somewhere. There _is_ a cell tower nearby, but I doubt that would do it...

Old 11-21-10, 02:10 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
They would have to be pretty close... it takes a pretty significant RF field to mess with this stuff... but it IS possible...

I do have a neighbor... who is also one of them pesky hams... whenever he is on 20 meters, the 4 brightness level touch lamp in the living room gives us a light show... it's kinda funny... then I go out in the garage and fire up the kilowatt...

Old 11-21-10, 08:49 PM
T
Are you sure it is to tekmars wiring diagram ? As the thermostats and zone valves (a portion of them) would use the remote 24vac x-former.
If it is the same, call tekmar support. They can provide a great deal of help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: