Can you paint baseboard heater pipe safely?

Old 11-28-10, 07:40 PM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Can you paint baseboard heater pipe safely?

I have baseboard heat. One area got ruined by a pet. I'm in the process of repairing the entire area. I've already repaired the sheetrock behind the baseboard. I've also removed the baseboard covers and backing and plan to repaint those (They were originally painted). The actual copper piping that comes up through the floor and enters the fins - I was wondering if it could be safely painted (not the portion within the fins - only the "bare" pipe before it enters the fins). The reason I'm asking is I'd really like to mask any odor related to the pet damage. I really do not want to replace the actual piping. Is there a paint that can be safely applied to this small section of copper piping that will withstand the heat without being a fire hazard & not produce toxic fumes? There are no electric elements associated with my baseboard heating. Thanks

Old 11-28-10, 07:56 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm not a painting expert... in fact I avoid it if at all possible (ask my wife!)...

The pipe won't absorb any odors. I think all you need to do is wipe it down real good to remove any 'residue'. I don't think painting the pipe will help anything really.

Old 11-29-10, 04:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree that it's unlikely that a hard surface like the pipe would absorb any odors. A good cleaning should remove any odors on the pipe. An oil base primer or even better a pigmented shellac [like zinnser's BIN] is the only way to seal in odors. Latex paint/primer will not seal odors!

Old 11-29-10, 05:13 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would have thought so too but despite cleaning the pipe, with it getting warm it does seem to emit an odor so given that I really don't want the pet to remark it after I've redone that area I was looking for some added insurance (especially since animals have a much better sense of smell than we do). I've already ready replaced the sheet rock behind the heater, changed the electrical outlet which actually became corroded, painted the back and front baseboard covers, will have the carpet removed and hardwood floors will be sanded and polyurethaned (This is after treating the floor with odor/stain neutralizers. It may be overkill but I really want to discourage the pet from remarking the area hence the reason I'm considering even painting the small section of copper piping. Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-29-10, 03:59 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Obviously you don't want to paint the finned portion, but how do you know that's not where the odor is coming from? There are products for removing pet smells that you might be able to spray on the pipe and fins without damaging them... worth looking into...

Also, where the pipe exits the floor... perhaps some of the pet's 'markings' have flowed down the hole where the pipe comes out?

There is one sure way to prevent recurrence, but being a 'pet person' myself, I'm not going to suggest the obvious... ooops, seems I may have already!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: