Do i need a new thermostat?

Old 11-30-10, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do i need a new thermostat?

Here is my problem... My circulator keeps coming on and going off intermittantly during the call for heat from the thermostat.

What i have noticed is that if I turn the thermostat all the way up (85 or so ) to a constant call for heat then the circulator will come on and stay on.

When i leave the thermostat setting at 70 then it will kick the circulator on and off all during the call for heat. i have tried adjusting the anticipater dial to different settings with no luck.

Will a new thermostat fix this problem?
will any thermostat work? or does it take a special thermostat for boilers? Its 24v going to a transformer downstairs that works a 120v switch for the circ.
can i use digital or stay with the old type mercury themostat?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-10, 03:52 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cat, are there only two wires on the existing thermostat? Chances are that it is... and that you can use a digital or mercury.

Tell us exactly what the 'transformer downstairs' is... what it looks like, are there any make/model numbers on it, etc...

Old 12-01-10, 07:03 AM
Thanks Trooper,

The picture #4 shows the transformer thingy. It is the thing on the left. You can see the thermostat wire coming down from the top. One thermostat wire connects on the left side of the transformer and the other thermostat wire connects on the left side of the110v switch which "clicks" when the circulator comes on or off. i didnt see any numbers on the transformer. It jsut looks like it has 110v going in the back and 24vac out the front I actually measured it at 26-27vac.

Yes there are just 2 wires on the thermostat. So I can use any type thermostat? do you have any recommendations on thermostats that work best with boulers? I was going to buy one at lowes last night but wasnt sure what to get. I didnt see any that said they would work with a boiler.

Last edited by NJT; 12-01-10 at 03:59 PM. Reason: fixed picture link
Old 12-01-10, 07:54 AM
I would avoid the Ritetemp / 3m Filtrete thermostats. I picked one up and I found the temperature readings to be way off.

Old 12-01-10, 10:20 AM
So, can I just use one of the honeywll programmable thermostats like sold at menards. The ones for heating and cooling even though im just using it on my boiler? The box said the honeywll was accurate to +/-1 degree F.

Old 12-01-10, 11:57 AM
Yes. I have Honeywell thermostats and I like them.

Old 12-01-10, 04:02 PM
NJT
Oh yeah, now I remember... that's that extremely dangerous setup that I saw in your other thread. The one with the exposed 120VAC terminals on the relay on the wall... and the junction box with no cover... yer lucky I'm not an inspector in YOUR town!

Yes, any two wire thermostat will work, just ignore the wiring for the cooling part.

Old 12-01-10, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thermostat

Drooplug's comments about the Ritetemp/3M stats are right on the money. To those I'll add Hunter or ANYTHING sold at a big box store. Sorry, but I replace too many each year bought at those kinds of stores. You are far better off getting one from an HVAC supply house. My favorite for a basic stat is the White-Rodgers 1F78-144. What ever you do, stay away from any system powered stats if your boiler is oil fired. For some reason system powered stats & oil burners don't play nicely together.

Old 12-01-10, 04:35 PM
NJT
http://comfortplus.white-rodgers.com...ingleStage.pdf

That line also has programmable models...

Price is Right too!

Old 12-01-10, 04:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, them's the critters. The small pic on the right is the 1F78-144. I've probably installed 100+ of them in the past few years & had one failure which was promptly replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

Old 12-01-10, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the replies and recommendations guys. I just got a honeywell thermastat at lowes. Its a 5-day programmablemodel RTH2310B and cost $29. For some reason the set back thermostats are cheaper than the non programmable ones. The regular honeywell thermostat with no setbacks was $44.
I have only ran one heat cycle so far but it seems to be working good. There doesnt seem to be any anticipator settings on this one. Maybe it is factory set to a certian setting. I velcroed a thermometer beside the thermostat on the wall and the digital display shows the same temps as the thermometer.
Trooper... I have also put the cover on the box and the 120v relay I covered back up with the thick styrofoam box held in place with bungy cords. I use the box because that relay makes a really loud click that can be heard throughout the upstairs. The styrofoam box and the paint rollers I have behind the board reaklly helps dampen the sound. Its always made that loud click and I figured since it was a 120v switch that was just the nature of the beast. Do they make quieter relays now? Or is that relay not supposed to be that loud?

Old 12-01-10, 05:22 PM
That's the exact thermostat I have. I've had one for 2 1/2 years. Picked up the second one recently to replace the stupid Ritetemp. The new ones have the backlight which is a nice touch. The electronics take car of the anticipation. Notice that this thermostat will have the house at your set temp at the time you set. You can turn this function off.

Old 12-01-10, 06:19 PM
For now I have turned off all the extra functions. Just using it as a straight thermostat to make sure everything works like its supposed to.
Later i might play with the set back features and see what I can do with it. It seems if i let the temps drop too much then it takes a long time to recoup.
On the other hand just leaving the thermostat @70, it seems when there is a call for heat the boiler runs and the call is satisfied before the water temps get above 155-160 even though the aquastat is set for 175 and it keeps the water in the boiler that temp all the time.
Maybe I can find some kind of happy median using this thermostat.
Besides i dont want to set the temps back too far... my wife stays home during the day..... if its too cold she wont get outta bed!! lol

Old 12-01-10, 08:21 PM
NJT
Do they make quieter relays now? Or is that relay not supposed to be that loud?
All relays are gonna 'click'. Yeah, some are louder than others. Your solution sounds fine to me... but if you did want to spend a couple bucks, you could consider something like a Taco SR 501 which would combine the transformer and the relay in one box, or a Honeywell R8845... or ? ... there are a number of them out there.

R8845U1003 - Honeywell R8845U1003 - Universal Switching Relay w/ Internal Transformer

Your relay is switching both the hot and the neutral. You don't need to do that... you only need to switch the HOT. The neutrals can be tied together. Just like a regular light switch... only the black wires are switched, the neutrals travel through.

I didn't notice the paint rollers! I must be slipping!
[I just looked at the pics again, and can't see them at all... you hid them well!]

I think the board that relay is mounted on is amplifying the sound. I bet if you got some rubber faucet washers, removed the mounting screws and put one washer between the board and the relay, another washer on top, and put the screws back 'loosely' you would hardly hear it at all.