Aquastat issue? -NJTrooper I need your Help

Old 12-08-10, 08:06 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aquastat issue? -NJTrooper I need your Help

NJTrooper/All,

First I am broke and my mother and dogs have and inoperable boiler. I have attempted several times to diagnose it with minimal luck. A repair man came out yesterday and quoted $1100 for a new circuitboard. That is impossible for me/her at this time.

Specifics: - Valiant boiler, One T-Stat, L8124E Relay
Problem: Pilot Lights and stays lit, Burners come on, operarte for an hour or so, then no burners only pilot, t-stat is a non-issue. There is a very minor natural gas leak at the input to the valve.

I first suspected the vent flap being an issue because it was stuck. I opened the vent up (not so nicely) and was able to get the flap to spin freely. Same problem afterwards.

I have seen 24V at the gas valve, but then I have seen 3V, both while not functioning??? The transformer appear to be functioning properly. if you press down on the switching relay it has been know to kick on.

Heres the ?s.
If the vent is unopened will burners come on? Can lower gas valve input pressure ,due to the leak ,cause the valve to not operate?
Can you purchase individual components for the relay or should I not bother and just get a whole new one? Thanks for the help, i will be quick to respond if you send a reply to the thread.

Old 12-08-10, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi did you try to open the vent damper with your hand? There is a switch on the side of the motor where you can open it manually. The boiler should not light if this is closed or stuck. [or broken! - NJT edit]

Please give model # of boiler. Also Pressure and temp. NJ tropper will most likely ask in order to help you further.

Mike NJ

Last edited by NJT; 12-08-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 09:45 AM
H
Yeah I did open the damper and it still does the same thing. Seems to be an over temp problem?? When it gets hot maybe some portection kicks in? I believe it is a Vailant G100-10SVD. No clue on pressure.

Old 12-08-10, 08:36 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There is a very minor natural gas leak at the input to the valve.
No matter how minor, and no matter if it contributes to the problem at hand or not, that leak simply MUST be repaired.

$1100 to replace an aquastat that he can probably buy for a bit over $100 is pure and simple robbery. If there is other work included, maybe not... perhaps we don't know the whole story.

L8124E1016 - Honeywell L8124E1016 - High Limit Triple Vertical Mount Aquastat Relay, High = 10°F Diff, Low = 10-25°F Adj Differential

I'm only familiar with the Vaillant OIL fired boilers. Never even seen a gas fired one, and I'll look but doubt that I will find a manual for it on-line. They pulled out of the US market years and years ago.

I opened the vent up (not so nicely) and was able to get the flap to spin freely
Does this mean that you broke it? The flap shouldn't 'spin freely'. It is opened and closed by a motor and gears... if this is not operating properly, even forcing it to open may not get the boiler to fire. There are safety switches inside the control that must be activated in order for the boiler to fire.

Old 12-08-10, 08:42 PM
NJT
Pilot Lights and stays lit, Burners come on, operate for an hour or so, then no burners, only pilot,
The burners operate for AN HOUR? and the house doesn't get warm?

I guess I'm a bit confused because I'm looking for the actual PROBLEM here...

Yes, there most definitely IS a 'high limit' control in the 8124 aquastat. When the boiler temperature reaches that high limit, the burners will shut down until the water cools again...

So what's the problem? Is the house cold?

No clue on pressure.
You need to get one, because we do want/need to know.
What pressure AT what temperature?

Old 12-08-10, 09:01 PM
NJT
Find out and report the exact model number of your boiler... is it this one?

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/98110066.pdf

Old 12-09-10, 07:31 AM
H
Thanks for the reply.

Q:Find out and report the exact model number of your boiler... is it this one?

No that is not the version of boiler I have. I will get you
the model number today.

Q:The burners operate for AN HOUR? and the house doesn't get warm?

I will crank the t-stat all the way up and it never gets above 68 on the main floor. Also seems like it comes on once and thats it. Maybe the High limit is too low?

Q: What pressure AT what temperature?

Im sorry but I dont understand the question. Are you asking the rating of the unit or a reading of pressure while running? I am an electrical guy, but my mother will be sending me this info shortly if it is marked on the unit.

Qoes this mean that you broke it?

If it is not supposed to spin freely then yes I may have broken it. It was definetly hung up inside the vent and we were hearing noises last year in there. I think it may have gotten stuck at some point. But if I put my DMM on it it will show 0V when operational...I can easily put it any position I want with little resistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: