knocks and bangs as water cirlculates to baseboard

Old 12-09-10, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
knocks and bangs as water cirlculates to baseboard

Hi,

I bought a house that has an old gas fired water boiler(Hydrotherm HC - 85) for a heating system with baseboards. The unit sems to work fine.

However, I noticed thast sometimes, I hear bangs and tapping on the baseboard as water travels through it. A neighbor mentioned that it may be water [ did you mean AIR? - NJT edit ] trapped in the system.

Any advice as to wether air trapped may be the issue ? If it is, is it simple to drain the water out ?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Acie

Last edited by NJT; 12-17-10 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-10, 08:16 AM
Is the noise just when the system is heating up (or cooling down)? Or is the noise there throughout a heat call?

Banging and pinging during heatup are usually caused by thermal expansion and contraction of the piping, etc. - not air.

Draining water out of the system won't eliminate air - the best way depends on the availability of air bleeders in your system.

Old 12-16-10, 07:51 PM
a very good starting point, would be to take some pictures of the boiler system, and the piping and post them on a place such as photobucket, then we can look at how the system is set up, review it, and determine any potential issues. This is a great starting point. I had a very similar issue to this, but until I posted pictures, it was a shot in the dark.

Old 12-17-10, 06:57 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yep, pics would do... photobucket is FREE... upload them there and come back here and post a link to your PUBLIC album so we can view them.

Do NOT drain any water from your system!