Honeywell Aquastat L8148E not operating properly

Old 12-09-10, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell Aquastat L8148E not operating properly

Would appreciate some help with this problem. I have a Honeywell Aqua stat model# L8148E with auto vent damper in stalled on a Peerless boiler approx. 20 yrs old. There are three zones with auto set back thermostats.
The last two mornings the heat has not come up. I assume that during the night after the low temp evening setting command comes into play it does not fire back up in the AM.
Upon inspection I observed all three zone valves open, circulator pump running and boiler temp at about 120 degrees with no main burner flame on. Thermo couple is working (pilot lit). When I manually click the relay on the aqua stat, the vent damper opens and the main burner ignites until it reached the boiler temperature setting then shuts off. It has been intermittent during the day and I can always get the cycle going by manually clicking the relay to initiate the burner turn on sequence.

My Q is: I have read some of the threads on here and am wondering if I need to replace my aqua stat. Or, if I do see a burn mark on the backside of the PC board, might I be better to solder, since it seems by a few in here the new ones might not be made as well.

Please advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-10, 06:06 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What you are describing does sound like a soldering problem... if you know how to solder and have an iron and ELECTRONIC ROSIN CORE solder, what have you got to lose?

Old 12-09-10, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
My experience is componants on a PCB fail for a reason. You could change the componant but you need to find what made it fry. Usually another componant that does not look fried.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike NJ

Old 12-09-10, 07:38 PM
NJT
We're not really talking about damaged components though, we're talking about cracked solder connections...

Old 12-09-10, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
OK what I read was burn marks on a board. I would think something cooked. Why? Solder connections by themselfs would rarely would cause burn marks. Usuall a wire or componant. Just me exp.

Mike
Nj

Old 12-09-10, 08:43 PM
NJT
He didn't say he did see burn marks...

Or, if I do see a burn mark
Just an IF ...

So maybe a little clarification is in order:

BFix, you aren't looking for 'burn marks', you are looking for CRACKED or otherwise defective solder connections. It takes a trained eye to recognize these sometimes, because they may not be obvious. If you have an eye loupe, or other magnifying device, you may need to use that to spot the bad solder connections. Sometimes they are obvious though...

image courtesy purkhiser.com

This is kinda sorta what you will be looking for.

Old 12-09-10, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
IF is not in my dictionary....LOL... Sorry...

Old 12-27-10, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I replaced the aquastat. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes, making sure all the wire connections were as before. This was my first aquastat replacement and after doing it I learned a little more about my hot water system. I havn't taken the old one apart to look for any bad connections (burn marks). The new one cost $166 w/ tax from a local plumbing supply house through a plumber's friends account and is working fine.