Attn: Boiler Tech's

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-16-10, 10:01 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attn: Boiler Tech's

I have a Utica MGB boiler model no. MGB50HD Rev. 2
This is a nat'l gas, forced HW boiler.
I'm finding that the thermostat is not satisfied and the boiler is off.
I have observed on several occasions that the vent damper is getting hung up at ~98% open, I simply move it the other 2% and the boiler fires up.
Once the boiler fires up the boiler runs until the resevoir temp. hits the High limit (SP 190F) the damper closes (sometimes partially). The boiler of course won't fire again until the tank temp. drops below 160F.

My question is: Is the sticky vent damper my only problem, or do I have a circulaor problem too, causing the tank temp. to hit the High Limit switch?


The vent damper is a EFFIKAL RVGP-KS4
The cartridge circulator is a Taco model no. 007-F4
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-16-10, 10:15 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 17,951
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
When the boiler hits 190 it should shut down. This is normal. If you still have a call for heat the ciculator should still be running until the t stat is satisfied.If the t stat does not get satisfied the boiler will kick back on and heat to 190 again and the process will continue until the t stat is happy.

What is the model aquastat? 160-190 is a 30 degree swing. Usually its a 15 degree difference and yours may or may not be adjustable.

As far as your damper getting stuck and not hitting the end switch to fire up will need to be repaired or replaced. Find out why its hanging up.

Mike NJ
 
  #3  
Old 12-16-10, 10:39 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mike,

It's a Honeywell aquastat type-L8148E
I will examine the damper's mechanical ability, but I'm not much of an electrical guy. If the mechanical function is OK? Can I replace just the small motor or does it come as a one pice unit damper an all?

I appreciate the advise!
Dave MA.
 
  #4  
Old 12-16-10, 04:28 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,493
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I think you will find it is a mechanical problem (binding) with the damper assembly. The motor that drives the damper isn't very powerful and if the damper sticks anywhere in its travel the motor will stall.
 
  #5  
Old 12-16-10, 05:35 PM
NJT's Avatar
NJT
NJT is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 23,539
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Can I replace just the small motor or does it come as a one pice unit damper an all?
You replace the whole thing.

Are you sure that this is the correct part number?

EFFIKAL RVGP-KS4

It's not RVGP-KS F ?

Does this PDF file help?

http://www.effikal.com/rvgpksf_manual.pdf
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: