Need Advice - Weil McLain Ultra 230 Series 1

Old 02-12-12, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it is. I checked the part number.

As for the boiler pump, Taco does make a pump exactly like the one I have but IFC (Taco Model 0011-F4 IFC). Suppose I could go with that if I wanted to do the change but I'm not sure at this point. A new pump is about $300 and although it looks as though no soldering would be involved to replace it (loosen the bolts and remove), I'm not sure if simply closing the valve just above the pump would prevent losing much water or having to drain the system. I'm suspecting I could close all the valves to the zones near the boiler loop and then drain the loop only. Not sure what would be involved though in re-filling it. I'm always concerned about how to get all the air out of the system once it is drained.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-12, 10:34 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Too bad they didn't install another valve on the supply line from the boiler...

Old 02-12-12, 11:03 AM
Yeah, think I will consult my local plumbing guy to get his take on replacing that boiler pump with an IFC version. Again, my biggest concern isn't draining the water and installing the new pump...my concern is always when you get to re-filling the system. At worst I would only be draining some of the water out of the boiler loop, but that may be enough to bring in a professional. Plus, I'm not really sure if I was to make this change with the ODS if I would be gaining all that much in efficiency. It's working pretty well the way it is now.

Old 06-17-12, 10:14 AM
Question Power Loss - RESET!

OK guys, another question regarding my wonderful (sarcasim) Weil McLain Ultra 230 Series 1 boiler.

I had to replace the Ultra Control Module about 2 years ago. I'm not sure that factors into my question but I figured I'd mention it.

Anyways, here is my "issue". Whenever we lose power, obviously the boiler also stops working when power is lost. Here's the problem. When power is restored, the boiler comes back on but immediately goes into reset with an error code indicating that the unit had lost power. One has to physically press the "Reset" button on the unit to clear the error code and allow the boiler to resume normal operation. Typically, not too big of a deal unless one is say, on vacation somewhere far away, no one is home, and it is say, February, and the outside temperature is -10 F and no one is due back at the house for several days. Sure, the power comes back on, but without someone there to physically hit the "Reset" button, this here boiler ain't gonna fire.

Anyone know a way around this? Maybe there is updated software? Somethin'? Anythin'????

Thanks ya'll!

Old 06-18-12, 03:59 AM
T
That should not happen.
The MCBA suffers from some poor power management.
In my experience with this control, we I have found that brown outs, or short duration power outages cause the control to go into E04 (a Triangletube code). Basically the capacitors in the control seem to allow the "brains" to keep running while there is no 24VAC power to supply the inputs and sensors.
The control will error on another error code, but when the "brains" while lose power shortly after.
Since MCBA only shows the last code stored, when it powers back up it shows the E04, which relates to removal of power while there is an error code present.
The solution that was implemented was to delay the application of power back to the control for several minutes, this allowed the systems to stablize and boot normally.
I have seen the error that you describe, and the solution was to replace the mcba.
If you still have this try to delay the start of the boiler back up and see if that resolves the issues.
The MCBA has poor filtering on some of it's sensor input lines, any induced noise can cause havoc.
A dirty closing or opening of the TT or DHW aqua stat can put the control into error, have seen it personally many times.

Old 06-26-12, 06:36 AM
I've already replaced the MCBA once a little over a year ago as the original MCBA finally died. The original MCBA exhibited the same behavior when power was lost and subsequently restored.

I don't have too much of a problem purchasing another MCBA, IF it will correct the issue. However, I fear that I will simply buy the new MCBA and continue to have the same problem. That is why I was wondering if Weil McLain had actually addressed and corrected this issue. Or if there is another "workaround".

Old 06-26-12, 12:39 PM
T
your best to give the manufacturer a call and see what they have discovered in the field.
They likely have seen this before.
You may have poor AC quality that is harming the MCBA, perhaps some power line filtering may be in order.
Since I tend to stay away from Weil, I do not have real world experience with that model.