baseboard heaters are obstructed by carpet

Old 12-19-10, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
baseboard heaters are obstructed by carpet

The lower edge of the baseboard faceplates sit against the carpeting in two rooms in my home. These rooms originally had vinyl flooring but have been changed to wall-to-wall carpet. When the carpet was installed the installers laid the carpet up to and under the heater faceplates. This seems to me to be a problem with the circulation of air in the heaters. is there a easy fix for this (such as replacement face plates) , or should I move all heaters up from the floor. Some of them do not seems to have enough play in the piping to move them up.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-10, 04:59 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Carpets installed recently? Call them back and ask them WTH did they do that for?

I don't know of replacement covers with bigger slot... moving them up seems like a pretty drastic solution.

Old 12-19-10, 05:01 PM
Just a thought: Can you remove the covers and trim the carpet with a carpet knife? If the carpet edge winds up looking ragged, maybe you could add a metal carpeting transition strip (like is used between carpet and adjacent hardwood flooring).

I'm assuming the baseboards are piped up with rigid pipe? Be careful of trying to spring the baseboards up, relying on the flexibility of the pipe.

You might check the manufacturer of your baseboards to see if they can suggest a solutiion - perhaps replacement covers with greater clearance. For example, Slant/Fin's model 15 has 1-3/4" clearance from floor to bottom of cover - plenty of room for most carpeting.

Old 12-20-10, 04:32 AM
After 12 years in my house I just found out that when my house was built the carpet installers tucked the rug into the baseboard. It looked nice and I never thought anything about it. Reading this forum and taking the DIY approach I found out that this was just plain wrong. 1/3 of the fins on my baseboard were blocked with the carpet.

It was an easy enough fix. I trimmed back the carpet with a razor knife and a new blade so it overlapped about 1 inch into the baseboard area. Then with a putty knife I was able to tuck the carpet between (under) the baseboard housing and the tackboard for the carpet. You can try a test spot by trimming the carpet down and slicing it out so you have a smaller flap to work with. If you can get the small section to tuck you should be good to go.

The rooms heat up much faster and the house much more evenly. I always wondered why the rooms with the ceramic tile or hardwood always were hotter then the carpeted rooms. Airflow......

Old 12-20-10, 06:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The carpet

When they install the padding make them stop it just in front of the baseboard unit, that will give you an extra 3/8 to 1/2 inch of clearance for the air to circulate. Lately I nave been using screws rather than nails to secure the baseboard units to the wall, so if I have to I can fuge with them for any reason, you married guys know the drill. Yea I was able to move my baseboard units uo 3/4 of an inch for carpeting.
Sid