Crown Boiler Does Not Fire

Old 12-22-10, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crown Boiler Does Not Fire

Boiler: Crown AW128

I am so frustrated!

I tuned into one of these forums over a year ago regarding inadequate heat in our upstairs master bedroom area (cape cod). I learned about adequate piping in oour hot water system to generate adequate heat. Long and short is I found 5' of new slant fin for $20. I cut it down to fit the window recess, and BOOM! Hot as heck!

Sealed off seams around old vinyl windows, and got to see my wife in her wedding night outfit more often. AND I could turn the thermostat down to 70/68/65 (timed).

BUT THEN...

I got up yesterday (Dec. 21) morning to find our room OK, but the rest of the house cold. I checked the temp. It was 63 degrees and falling.

I had no pilot. I relit the pilot. No fire. I changed the thermocouple. Relit the pilot. No fire. I went to the Crown site and downloaded the manual. Followed the troubleshooting flow chart. My symptoms concluded with "defective gas valve". I went to Crosstown Plumbing and got a new one. Installed it carefully, ensuring no leaks. Lots of fire. Now homeles.... oops! That's part of my scam story for the Self-Righteous-Do-Gooders.com site forum. unish:

OK, so where did I wander. Oh yes. Installed the gas valve carefully, ensuring no leaks. Relit pilot. No fire. Utility folks not available until 22 Dec between 16:00 and 20:00 (called on 21 Dec). :NO NO NO:

Your suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-10, 11:31 AM
Talking Video Link LDeVose2 Crown AWI 128 Boiler

Here is some more information that may help you help me.

Please note that the pilot, when lit, and it does light with no problem, burns a clean, blue flame that causes the new thermocouple to glow a bright orange.

Click Here to See the Video or copy and paste the following into the address bar of your browser:

http://cid-b1e0008718c3287d.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=B1E0008718C3287D!165&authkey=AD1igmnVnak%24

Last edited by LdeVose2; 12-22-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: To add icon
Old 12-22-10, 11:49 AM
Check to see if you're getting 24V to the gas valve when there is a call for heat. If not, troubleshoot with a mulitmeter to find out where the voltage is being lost. Start at the 24-V control transformer, and work your way toward the gas valve in a systematic manner.

Old 12-22-10, 02:51 PM
Thank you for that. I will do that now.

Old 12-22-10, 08:22 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Followed the troubleshooting flow chart. My symptoms concluded with "defective gas valve"
I followed the chart based on your description of the problem, and did not get to where you got... ???

Old 12-22-10, 08:26 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
CALL FOR HEAT -> CIRCULATOR START? >YES> VENT DAMPER OPEN ? >

your answer ?

presuming YES, -> MAIN BURNERS LIGHT? > obviously NO >

24 VOLTS AC across B1 and B2 in the aquastat? >

your answer ?