Converting pilot light to ignitor

Old 12-22-10, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting pilot light to ignitor

Good evening,
Forgive me for this stupid question I have a GE Smart Water hot water tank. Model #SG4OT12AVG00 I put it in about 2006 she has been working great.
My Question is, is there some way I can convert her over from a standing pilot light (which she is now) to an ignitor?. Would it be worth it if it could be done?.
See I thought maybe they made a kit for doing this I just thought this way my gas bill would be cheaper!.
Thank you for your time & hopefully your help!
Will

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-10, 08:53 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Will, I know that it can be done with boilers and furnaces... and is fairly $$$ because the gas valve has to be changed, in addition to the extra controls...

But you are asking about a WATER HEATER (in the home heating forum by the way)... and that water heater is already four years old. Most water heaters only live about ten years or so... rough average... before the tank starts weeping...

So, I think the answer is that it's not economically feasible to do so. You simply won't save enough to recoup the cost before the water heater 'craps out' and needs replaced.

I'll leave your question here for now, maybe some other answers will come, but will probably move it over to the water heater forum ... maybe tomorrow.

Old 12-23-10, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Sir,
I'm sorry I put it in the wrong place I think you are right however I have been doing some research on it & found if I'm reading it right you don't really save that much. As far as cost go for doing it I did not find anything about that. You know it's to bad these things don't last longer cause the price sure say they should LOL!
Thank you & once again I'm sorry for your trouble!
Will,

Old 12-23-10, 04:24 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Will, no trouble... no apology necessary...

I'm pretty sure the cost for conversion would be nearly the price of a new water heater, IF the parts were even available.

As far as lasting longer... you said it! But, the last one I replaced here at the Ponderosa was an electric, and that one lasted a good 20 years (not bad for a cheapo 9 year warranty heater)... but, I flushed the sediment periodically, and changed the anode a couple times.

You might find this website interesting:

Basic topics regarding water heater longevity, safety and preventive maintenance