furnace boiler knocking noises....is this normal?

Old 12-23-10, 09:35 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question furnace boiler knocking noises....is this normal?

furnace boiler makes knocking noises while burners start heating water,is this normal?

Old 12-24-10, 08:25 AM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No, probably not... tell us more... boiler make/model, etc, etc, ...

If you can find the pressure/temperature gauge on the boiler, tell us the readings.

Old 01-04-11, 11:29 PM
B
PEERLESS BOILER - MODEL G - 460 W-S - (aka "old" )
its a natural gas fired, "hot water boiler system", its vented through an old chimney up to the roof...
recently had an old pressure valve replaced....
relief valve and drain valves are leaky....
it sounds like theres something rattling around inside the tank, but its pretty loud I can hear it through the basement ceiling....
is it possibly just a hard water issue?? build up over time probably needs cleaning?

help!

Old 01-04-11, 11:36 PM
B
also ... forgot to mention that the radiator system was drained when the valve was replaced...

Old 01-05-11, 08:40 AM
R
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
noise in boiler

First off I am no heating expert but will relay my expierence. My boiler started hammering when heating. The company said probably build up, I took it out and there was nothing in it. When I put it back I discovered the auto refill was not working.Also found out the gauge was stuck on 10 lbs. So lack of pressure can cause a noisy boiler. Also repair any leaks, especially that relief valve.

Old 01-05-11, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
OK we got the make and model but to help we need some info.

What does the pressure and temp say? There is a gauge on the boiler.

Looks like this

You have cast iron radiators?
Are there bleeder valves on the radiators?
How many zones?
Circulators, Zone valves?

Mike NJ

Old 01-05-11, 04:36 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
something rattling around inside the tank, but its pretty loud I can hear it through the basement ceiling....
What 'tank' are you talking about ?

Are you sure that it's not coming from the circulator pump? Is it almost a 'hammering' noise? Maybe you have a broken coupler spring?

Old 01-05-11, 04:58 PM
couple of years ago one of my tenants complained about a similar problem, so my wife called an "HVAC technician" who managed to scare her and my tenant. my wife was in the process of evacuating the property when I arrived. The technician was trying to convince me that the boiler need to replaced and he can do it the same day for $5000. After getting rid of the technician, I went to the basement to check the temp and pressure, the temp was over 200 and the pressure was around 25PSI. I shut the power off and lowered the max setting to 180 degrees waited for the boiler to cool down and purged the air out. The boiler is working great with out any problems for the past 3 years.

The thing that bothered me the most is the fact that he kept the boiler on even after scaring everybody to death....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: