i am not getting much heat on the first floor, too much on the second floor

Old 12-30-10, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i am not getting much heat on the first floor, too much on the second floor

hello, seems once a year i come on here for one problem or another

anyway, i have a small house with an oil boiler. this year everything seems to work fine except for most of my heat seems to be upstairs; i know that in a small house the house will make its way up there but the radiators upstairs feel almost hot and the on the first floor they are warm at best. i had this problem last year when my furnace was having pressure problems(had the water off, only turned it on when the pressure got low because it would end up getting to much pressre). this year the pressure is constant(5psi), water supply is on. i am 85% sure its all one system, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 09:22 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
i am 85% sure its all one system, any ideas?
I don't understand... WHAT is "all one system" ?

FIVE PSI is too low. A pressure reading without an associated TEMPERATURE reading is essentially useless information, please supply both. PRESSURE AT TEMPERATURE

You should maintain at least 12 PSI in the boiler when the boiler is COLD.

This pressure will increase when the boiler gets hot, but should return to 12 when it cools off again. Pressure may increase as much as say 10 PSI when it's hot... if it increases more than this, you need to check condition of your EXPANSION TANK.

It also sounds as if your PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE is not working properly. The would typically be why one would see a slow increase in pressure over time. There are other less likely reasons though...

Old 12-30-10, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
I don't understand... WHAT is "all one system" ?
im not sure what the correct term is, one zone maybe, the first floor and second floor can not be controlled separately and it does not appear like the second floor can be cut off from the rest.

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
FIVE PSI is too low. A pressure reading without an associated TEMPERATURE reading is essentially useless information, please supply both. PRESSURE AT TEMPERATURE

You should maintain at least 12 PSI in the boiler when the boiler is COLD.

This pressure will increase when the boiler gets hot, but should return to 12 when it cools off again. Pressure may increase as much as say 10 PSI when it's hot... if it increases more than this, you need to check condition of your EXPANSION TANK.

It also sounds as if your PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE is not working properly. The would typically be why one would see a slow increase in pressure over time. There are other less likely reasons though...
ok miss read the pressure, its at about 10-12 at 190, seems to be working alright, last year i seemed to have problems the pressure reducing valve/expansion tank (never got it figured out completely last year) and it resulted in a similar problem as i am having now with the second floor getting most of the heat.

Old 12-30-10, 06:08 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, 10-12 at 190 is still too low. But as you might have seen, I have little trust for boiler gauges. Still, at 190 I would expect to see something at LEAST 15, more likely higher...

Yes, probably one zone is the right description... that makes sense.

If you want to take some pics we might be able to suggest some changes to the piping that would solve the problem. There can be problems with 'ghost flow', aka 'thermo-siphon', 'gravity flow'... which means that after the boiler cuts off, the HOT water from the boiler 'floats' up because it is more buoyant. When the hot floats up, the cold sinks down... circulation without the pump running.

Free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket ... upload the pics there, come back here and drop a link to your PUBLIC album.