Riello burner banging

Old 01-01-11, 09:15 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riello burner banging

I have a Riello 40 f5 burner on a Bederus boiler, that I just installed. When I flipped the switch for the first time, it started and ran, but was a bit rough. That was three days ago, and I have been using it as needed only, while trying to get a service tech that knows Riello's, to come out and tune it up. When it ran, it rumbled and banged, but not too extreme. This morning I started it, and after a few minutes the thing started banging so bad that I had to shut it down. Still four days away from a service call, (Techs are crazy busy around here) any ideas? I turned the pump pressure up some, no help, put it back. I opened/closed the air a little, also no help, back to where it started. Really need the thing for at least hot water.

Old 01-01-11, 12:52 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Dave, was the burner replaced with the exact same one? same nozzle, etc, etc? WHY did you replace it?

There really isn't much that we can help you with... you need to wait for your guy to show up. Unless Grady can come up with some tips, I'm afraid you're stuck.

Old 01-01-11, 01:25 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Riello

Reread your Riello manual. Note the part about setting your Riello to the boiler's specs, mostly about the nozzle, and carefully read about the burner penatration into the fire box, nozzle size, pump pressure,turbulator setting, and the air damper setting. Make shure the electrodes are where there suposed to be, and dont forget to set up your pump to match your oil pipe configuration. It's all in the installation manual. And this burner really should be set up with instruments, especially smoke and draft, but the whole set is best.
You should have a CO dector in your house.
Good luck.
Sid

Old 01-01-11, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Dave,
How about some more specifics such as boiler model & firing rate?
Did you install the whole boiler or just replace the burner?

Old 01-01-11, 04:27 PM
NJT
dont forget to set up your pump to match your oil pipe configuration
Good thought Sid! Grady, do the Riello pumps also have the 'bypass plug' thingy ?

Old 01-01-11, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes they do have a by-pass plug & a little devil it is.

Old 01-01-11, 05:05 PM
D
Thanks for the effort guys, it's all set.

I replaced my entire system, boiler, burner, zone valves to circs, the works. I'm a bit more advanced then your basic handy man, but when it comes to fine tuning a burner, it's out of my league. I had been under the impression that when you buy both the boiler and burner together, they would be factory set, and ready to roll. Guess they're ballpark.

Anyway, turns out the pump pressure needed to be increased, and the air decreased. It's running like a top now!

Old 01-01-11, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear it seems to be running well. If not already done, a combustion analysis needs to be performed.

Old 01-07-11, 12:13 PM
O
Same Problem, Curious About Details

I was just about to post basically the same issues being experienced with a brand new (2 months old) Buderus G115ws/5 with the Riello 40 F5. It was super quiet when first installed, the air intake was actually the loudest sound. It ran very infrequently basically for DHW and in December the demand for heat had more operation. Suddenly it started smoking a little and flame color went towards orange. The air mix was adjusted to provide more air and no smoke, but the unit started the bang and rumble which has become increasingly serious. I did decrease the air, but then it smokes. I was thinking the oil pressure needed to be increased but a tech said it was high. From the factory these units are set to 165 psi (0.85 nozzle uses 1.10 gph).
I know if older techs increasing older Becketts pressure to 125-150 and dropping nozzle size to get finer mist. But how much over 165 is an acceptable working pressure? What was the final pressure setting on the above fix?

Old 01-07-11, 12:43 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Riello

You can easily go to 200 psi but you will have to adjust the nozzle down a size or two. You can google nozzle sizes and pressure tables, and search these threads for Riello topics. There is a lot to learn here.
Read your Riello manual.
Sid

Old 01-07-11, 05:46 PM
NJT
It's very possible the issue is COLD OIL. I've had similar problems...

Is your tank above ground outdoors?

Old 01-10-11, 08:28 PM
O
Maybe a separate thread would be better? Similar, but I believe different issue.
No, my tank is in the basement. More info:
My system is currently banging on startup (could be puff back, but this more of a bang than a thud). Also it gives a rumbling start on occasion. The startups after a rumble seem to be smooth and quieter with the bang coming back after a few cycles. Some background: this is a brand new Burderus G115WS5 boiler with a Riello 40 F5 burner installed in November. Straight out of the box this was basically the quietist system I’ve heard with the only noticeable sound from the air intake fan. The final dial in was one index increase of the air shuttle past the initial “3”. All was great since the weather was warm and the system only cycled for DHW. Last month the cold weather set in and heat required. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a small thud (like a puff back) and noticed smoke from the chimney. I pulled the front cover and saw the flame had gone orange. The fix was to increase air (moved shutter to “4”). All was good for a couple days but then the banging on startup began. This got so bad along with the occasional rumbling/stumbling startup prompted me to take immediate action while waiting for a service tech. I backed the air shutter down and the noise has decreased but it smokes occasionally.
I’m a bit confused since smoke is evidence of a rich mixture, but I thought too rich (and not too lean) would cause puff back. What would cause the banging and rumble with air added?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-11, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Riello burners require a balancing act between the air shutter & the nozzle assembly adjustment. If your installer is not 100% comfortable with Riello, call another service company with Riello expertise. This ain't no Beckett or Carlin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: