Help replacing aquastat

Old 01-05-11, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help replacing aquastat

Hello, I think I have a bad Honeywell Aquastat relay. Is this something that I can replace myself or do I need a professional to do this? If I can do it myself is there a step by step I can get to do it? Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-11, 10:18 AM
Start by going to the Honeywell website and get the instructions for whatever model you have.

Default - Honeywell Environmental And Combustion Controls

Last edited by NJT; 01-05-11 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 03:48 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Before you go replacing an expensive control, why don't you tell us what is wrong with your system? Maybe it's not the control at all...

Old 01-07-11, 08:42 AM
It is not too difficult, but be sure to determine if you can buy one locally and if so, be sure to find out if the well is available locally. When I removed my Aquastat relay the sensor was so tight in the well that it wouldn't come out and broke off in the well. I had to remove the well which required removing the pressure off the system by starting to drain the boiler. With the old well partially removed and the new well ready to insert, I was able to switch wells with minimal water loss. Also I would recommend reviewing how the Aquastat is attached by looking at other threads. The Honeywell literature was somewhat confusing to me, although I did not have the new Aquastat in hand to look at.

Old 01-07-11, 10:33 AM
NJT
the sensor was so tight in the well that it wouldn't come out and broke off in the well.
Most likely due to someone spooging the well full of that wretched heat transfer compound that Honeywell says should be used. If you must use any of that nasty stuff, just a little jizz on the end of the bulb is all you need. That and make sure that the bulb is fully inserted into the well.

Old 01-07-11, 04:08 PM
I didn't use any on the replacement since it also was snug. It worked fine.

Old 01-07-11, 05:44 PM
NJT
Yeah, I don't see a need for the stuff if the fit is proper. Only if the bulb were loose in the well would I consider it. How many aquastats were installed before Honeywell started including that stuff? Millions! How many worked fine? Millions!