Circulator/Aquastat question...New homeowner

Old 01-05-11, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circulator/Aquastat question...New homeowner

Hello,

I am a new home owner and I am trying to understand where the settings in the boiler should be. My setup is as follows:

Burner: Beckett burner
Boiler: Peerless
not sure if circulator/aquastat : White Rogers 11C15-11

I have a tankless water heater (coil) and it provides domestic hot water to my home. I have two zones and the square footage is about 2200.

The White Rogers 11C15-11 has a high limit setting (140-240) and a circulator setting (100-200). It has two pointers on the high limit side and two pointers on the circulator side. the pointers can spread apart or they can be closed together. I am not sure what the settings should be. Right now the high limit side is set to - one pointer at 180 and one pointer at 160. Is this high and low limit? The circulator side is set with both pointers closed together at 160.

Are these settings ok? Boiler seems to be running pretty often and i seem to burning a lot of oil. I have a 275 gallon tank. I filled up 3 weeks ago and gauge is showing between 1/4 and 1/2. Does this seem normal?

Thanks,
Lance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-11, 08:46 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Lance, welcome to the forums.

What model Peerless boiler ? Pretty old would you say?

I believe that the 11C15 is discontinued...

The dials that can be 'spread apart' are the SETPOINT, which is the upper setting, and the DIFFERENTIAL... which is the lower of the two.

Right now the high limit side is set to - one pointer at 180 and one pointer at 160. Is this high and low limit?
No. They are both for the HIGH LIMIT. In this case the high limit is set at 180, and the DIFFERENTIAL is 20 ... ( 180-160 ). The BURNER will cut off when the water temp hits 180 on a heat call, and IF THE HEAT CALL CONTINUES, it will fire again at 160.

The circulator side is set with both pointers closed together at 160.
Are these settings ok?
Something tells me no... they need some tweaking... but until and unless I can find a diagram for that control, and how it is wired on your boiler, I'm at a bit of a loss.

If this 11C15 control is being used on your system the same way that what is called a TRIPLE aquastat is used on other systems, I would say that you want to spread the circulator settings apart by at least 15, and LOWER the 160 circulator setting to 150 for starters.

So, let's know the full model number on the boiler and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Old 01-05-11, 08:50 PM
NJT
I filled up 3 weeks ago and gauge is showing between 1/4 and 1/2. Does this seem normal?
Sounds a bit much... closer to 1/2 ? or 1/4 ?

Old 01-05-11, 08:57 PM
NJT
Lance, the more I think about this, the more I suspect that there may be other controls on the boiler. Is this the only control you found?

Old 01-05-11, 09:57 PM
I cant seem to find the model number on the boiler. There is a tag on the front with some information on it but it is faded. Would the model # be anywhere else? The boiler is a greenish color and it has the coil in the upper left hand corner with the 11C15 going into the coil. There are other silver boxes that are not attached to the boiler but has wires running from them going to the two breen circulators for both zones. I think these are connected to the thermostat controls in the house.

I didnt think that the 11C15 settings were right. I have been trying to research this but I couldnt find much info.

Regarding the oil level, it is right in the middle of 1/2 and 1/4. What could be the reason that I am burning so much oil? I keep the thermostat at 68-69 on both zones. I recently had to replace the expnsion tank because it was completely full. Once the company replaced it, the psi went up to 29. They came back and changed the "feeder valve". When they went to drain the boiler to change the valve, no water came out. The tech said that the boiler could have cracked and that I was lucky. Now the psi is running at 22 and the boiler temp goes as high as 205 and comes on at 175-180. It doesnt hold the high temp very long. Most times it drops to 175 within minutes.

Old 01-05-11, 10:10 PM
I think the boiler was installed in the mid 90's. maybe 15 years old.

So should I put circulator bottom pointer to 130 and top pointer to 150? And keep High limit where it is? Previous home owner had both High limit pointers closed together at 180 but it didnt seem right. I am so confused.

Old 01-06-11, 07:11 AM
NJT
Until we know a bit more about your system, I'm reluctant to confirm that you should change any settings. We need to know how that system is being controlled.

Perhaps the best thing would be to ask that you take a bunch of pics of the system. Please make sure the pics are IN FOCUS, WELL LIGHTED, and LARGE ENOUGH FOR OLD DUDES TO SEE.

Set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload the pics to a PUBLIC album.

Come back here and drop a link to the PUBLIC album and we'll take a look to see what we can see.

Please remove the covers on the control boxes so we can identify their models.

BE CAREFUL! CUT POWER TO BOILER BEFORE REMOVING COVERS! 120 VAC EXPOSED INSIDE! YOU CAN BE KILLED IF YOU TOUCH THE WRONG THING!

Old 01-06-11, 04:54 PM
Your location says, USA. If you live in Texas your using a lot of oil. If your living in north Alaska, mybe not so bad !

Old 01-06-11, 05:03 PM
NJT
Good point Buzz! being up here in cold-azz NJ I kinda get to thinking that everyone must burn as much Earl as we do!