Burnham CHG 150 - blower fan constantly on..help?

Old 01-06-11, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham CHG 150 - blower fan constantly on..help?

So the plumber came by to look at this issue.
The combustion blower goes on high the second you flip the switch on. the boiler won't light. sounds like a jet engine when you flip the switch on.

normally there's a pre purge and the blower would run for 10 seconds and stop...but it won't stop.

the plumber recommended that i get a new MCBA. got the control board and installed it. after installing it flip on the switch and it does the same thing. it seems like the blower is stuck on high and it doesn't know how to stop.

is there something that's on the blower that regulates the fan speed or does the MCBA control that?

honestly this plumber seems to be clueless on these new boiler and he's just having me buy all these very expensive parts. the thing is that he can talk direct to burnham reps and get help from them...but clearly the reps are not physically there looking at the issue to give him a clear/correct answer on what's wrong.

specs:
Burnham CHG150
Concentric vent
natural gas
forced hot water
no error code

all this stemmed from a botched concentric vent install by this plumber. one section of the pipe wasn't installed correctly and it caused the condensation to leak out to the outer pipe and that water went right on to the boiler case. water was pouring on to the MCBA. since i was 2 weeks after their 1 year warranty they won't pay or even help pay for anything. they even charged for a service call.

please help...haven't had heat since christmas and it's cold.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-11, 05:52 AM
Well, I am not up on my Burnhams any more, but if you have replaced the MCBA and that didn't fix it, one would say it was fine. Hope you kept it !!!

I have found (with triangle tube solo series) that if the fan is on, either the MCBA is not booting properly, there is a wire that is not on properly, or the fan itself is smoked.

Check ALL your wiring, look for corroded wires. If there was condensation pouring into the boiler chances are there will be corroded wires.
If your contractor is not able to look after you, find one that has training.
Ask them who there wholesaler was, and go back to them for help. They are not responsible to fix it, but will surely help you with a good tradesman that can fix it. Failing that, call Burnham. Tell them the contractors name and wholesalers name. They do not want bad rep on their products, they can help you fix it. You may end up paying out of pocket, but it will get fixed and it should be back to factory specs.

Old 01-07-11, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by TOHeating View Post
Well, I am not up on my Burnhams any more, but if you have replaced the MCBA and that didn't fix it, one would say it was fine. Hope you kept it !!!

I have found (with triangle tube solo series) that if the fan is on, either the MCBA is not booting properly, there is a wire that is not on properly, or the fan itself is smoked.

Check ALL your wiring, look for corroded wires. If there was condensation pouring into the boiler chances are there will be corroded wires.
If your contractor is not able to look after you, find one that has training.
Ask them who there wholesaler was, and go back to them for help. They are not responsible to fix it, but will surely help you with a good tradesman that can fix it. Failing that, call Burnham. Tell them the contractors name and wholesalers name. They do not want bad rep on their products, they can help you fix it. You may end up paying out of pocket, but it will get fixed and it should be back to factory specs.
trust me...if i had a vault i'm locking the old MCBA in it.

i'm trying to do some troubleshooting myself since it's getting on to 3 weeks in the heart of winter and it appears the plumber either doesn't care or just wants me to keep throwing money at it.

the only other thing i can see is the blower (another 400+ part) or the pressure switch.
i unplugged all the terminals and if any of them look crusty i cleaned them up fine grade sand paper. i did what i can from what i can see.

i'm actually ordering my parts through a different supply house since my plumber tend to add on another 100-150 on the part from their supply house. i rather save the 100 and buy the part myself at this point and the curreny guy is really helpful and actually will return my calls.

i mean i can rebuild an engine why is creating heat so difficult...geez.

anyone wants to think about getting a high tech super efficient boiler...don't...at least not now. no one has parts and no one knows how to fix them. get the basic boiler. easy to fix. easy to get parts.

Old 01-08-11, 11:29 AM
so here's the latest. the plumber called burnham tech and it appears there's another computer piece behind the blower. that blower electronics happens to be right below the air intake hole where the condensate was dripping on. the electronics will control the fan speed from the MCBA signal. Thank you Burnham for the crap-tastic design. the computer is attached to the fan blower so i get to buy the entire assembly...yay! the burnham rep said that they are sending out a shield for that computer so it'll protect it from condensate in the future.

the cherry on top is that they don't even stock this part so i'm going to have to wait the standard 7-10 days for this over priced fan to come in. how could they not stock this part? are they not building/selling boilers? this is the same fan/blower on the alpine and freedom (along w/ my chg). thank you burnham for screwing the customers.

this will be week 4 w/o heat in cold NY.