Is it the Circulator pump or the Aquastat?

Old 01-07-11, 08:31 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it the Circulator pump or the Aquastat?

I was experiencing problems where my heat was staying on even though the thermostat was not calling for heat. I've have to turn it on, then off again to get it to shut off. It would happen a few times a week.

Frustrated one day, I turned it on and off pretty fast and a few times, and ....then my circulator pump just kinda didn't sound like it did before. It got a little quieter.

Now...my heat is not acting the same. It seems It's taking MUCH longer to reach the temp. It actually kinda seems like the 'sticking on' issue is fixed, but say, if Its 67 and i turn it to 75 at 5am, at 8am, it's just 69.

Like I said the pump turns on, but it's a little quieter now. Does this sound like a relay or something funky with the aquastat or..if the pump is getting power, the aquastat is fine....and something is up with the pump (maybe a coupling or impeller or just the pump went bad)

Any way to test and eliminate one of the two? It's a B&G 100 series pump, not sure on the aquastat.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-11, 08:36 AM
C
oh yeah, what should the gauge on my boiler read as far as temp pressure when it is on?

also, the motor is spinning, and where the coupler meet the impeller appears to be spinning. (part with the springs)

Last edited by caffeine; 01-07-11 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 04:42 PM
H
Is the boiler firing? Carefully touch the piping and determine if the return line is hot.

Old 01-07-11, 05:27 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Frustrated one day, I turned it on and off pretty fast and a few times, and ....then my circulator pump just kinda didn't sound like it did before.
Oooops... I guess you shouldn't have done that! One time I got pi55ed at my car, so I brought the engine up to about 3 grand and shifted back and forth from drive to reverse... then it didn't work after that.

From the symptoms that you describe, it sounds as though for some reason the pump ain't pumpin' no mo.

Old 01-09-11, 07:08 AM
H
It seems to me that if the springs are spinning the coupler is OK, but the set screw which locks the coupler on the pump shaft may be loose. I would turn off the power and see if that may be the case. Should be an easy check.

Old 01-09-11, 10:17 AM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like caffeine was a 'fly by'...

Old 01-15-11, 07:27 PM
C
Nope still here.

My problem was with the aquastat. It wasn't fully getting up to temp so the circulator pump was just pumping 'warm' water. On top of the aquastat 'sticking' on from a circulator pump perspective, that didn't help either.

new aquastat + bleeding some air out of the lines fixed it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: