What should the pressure be on a Buderus boiler when heating up

Old 01-08-11, 05:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should the pressure be on a Buderus boiler when heating up

A couple of weeks ago I woke to my wife telling me the boiler was leaking, it turns out the relief valve was leaking. So I shut down the system, replaced the relief valve, and started it back up. Seemed alright for a few days and the I noticed a little stream of water running across the basement floor, thought maybe I bought a defective valve so I relaced it again. Still the same thing. I checked the pressure gauge today and it was at approx. 39 psi at 170 degrees, how can you tell if the expansion tank is bad?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-11, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by setzenfand View Post
how can you tell if the expansion tank is bad?
The expansion tank may not be "bad," just waterlogged. But first, what type of exp tank do you have? Bladder type or conventional steel? Don't replace any more components until you have the problem troubleshot. You've now wasted money on three relief valves. Need to apply logic before throwing parts at it - or call somebody to help.

What does the boiler temp/pressure gauge indicate?

Photos of your system would help us. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 01-08-11, 07:45 PM
Im not sure but it looks lie a propane tank for a grill. The pressure was around 39 psi at 170 degrees and then the relief valve would startto leak.

Old 01-09-11, 05:18 AM
You have a bladder type expansion tank. Turn off you system and let it cool down to 100 degrees or less. Then drain water out of the system until the pressure is 0 psi. Check the pressure on your expansion tank with a standard tire pressure gauge. It should be 12 psi. If any water comes out when you do this, then the bladder in your tank has failed and you need to replace it. If the bladder appears to be ok, then raise the pressure of the tank to 12 psi. After you get your expansion tank sorted out, refill the water into your system until the pressure gauge on the boiler reads 12 psi. That is the minimum pressure you should have when the boiler is cool. If you have more than 3 floors in your home, it will need to be higher. When the boiler is hot, the pressure will rise a few psi.