Burnham P-205A-WNIN heating system stopped working - restarted but heat low?

Old 01-10-11, 03:37 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnham P-205A-WNIN heating system stopped working - restarted but heat low?

I have a Burnham P-205A-WNIN (gas boiler) hot water heating system (hot water registers), it's a single unit that heats the hot water for both the faucets and the registers. Just got a call from the tenants telling me the heating in the house is not working and house is cold. Of course it happened to be 5F here this morning! When I got to the house I took the cover off the boiler and looked at the little computer thingy that is meant to start the ignition circuit. No flashing / throbbing lights, nothing. I traced some of the circuitry with a multimeter and did see 22v aprox on some of the associated circuitry outside of the boiler housing. I turned off the main power to the boiler several times, upon turing it back on I heard several clicks (relays?) but the computer didn't awaken. It eventually magically started while I was check the AC voltage on a transformer??!!!

I'm pretty sure the flue vent motor was somehow not working and this stopped the computer working. I see the computer has some type of input for a flue sensor but in my case it's not wired up. So the circuitry was somehow detecting the flue motor from not running. Ok so now it appear to work, I did go outside and check the flue outlet, no snow blocking it. I left the house at 11am and with it running ok. I just got an email from my tennant saying that the house is still cold some 4 hours later. I emailed her back and said that the large tank of water will take a while to heat back up.

Am I correct in saying this and is there perhaps still a problem with the system. I didn't notice once it started back up it would run for a couple of mins then stop, computer would turn flam off, and then start up again.

I am hesitant to call a heating person as last time I did they charged me $600 for the little honeywell controller (I found it for $100 online!!) and it turned out that the actual ignition spark plug was a little carboned up and all I needed to do was to sand it down with a 50c piece of sand paper and the furnace worked perfectly Sorry for my lack of usage of the proper terminology, I'm an amateur when it comes to these things however I do have time but not money and my tenants are very nice people. I may have call in an expert however as I really don't want these poor folks from LA to freeze too death

Cheers

Old 01-10-11, 05:36 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I wish it was easy to just say 'do this' and the thing would work again, but it's not that easy. With a system such as yours there are many things that can cause your problem.

You say you have time... but not really... you owe it to your nice tenants to get the heat back on ASAP.

Old 01-10-11, 06:32 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Well the water coming out of the faucets is hot and the registers are hot, the house appear to be at 65f but registers are just not as hot as usual according to tenant. I've decided to get a heating guy over tomorrow.

Old 01-11-11, 05:29 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
the house appear to be at 65f
Is that what they have the thermostat set at?

registers are just not as hot as usual according to tenant
That's a very subjective statement... maybe they are not as hot because the home is up to temperature? If the thermostat is happy, and the home is up to setpoint, the registers WILL cool off...

I'm wondering if there really is a problem... at least with the water temp... obviously there WAS a problem because the boiler didn't fire up... and THAT is what the tech should look into.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: