Possible aquastat issue?

Old 01-18-11, 08:25 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible aquastat issue?

Hi I replaced the Indirect fired water heater at my girlfriends house a few weeks ago with a Smart30 and all seemed to go well with that.
Now the boiler has stopped maintaining water temp all the time like it used to. The boiler only comes on when a zone calls for it. Up until a few days ago the boiler would maintain a minimum of abotu 140f. Now it drops below 100f and only fires when the DHW zone or one of the 4 baseboard zones callls for heat. At that time it will reach about 160-170.

This is a Dunkirk propane fired boiler with a Honeywell aquastat. I will have to get the # when I go back over there tonight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-18-11, 03:57 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Ruger... when you say you replaced the indirect... you are saying that it was already set up with an indirect, and you replaced the one that was there, right?

Are you SURE that the boiler used to maintain temperature? If you had an indirect, there is NO REASON for it to be set up that way...

What you are describing is NORMAL operation for what is called a 'COLD START' system.

Do let us know what aquastat is installed on the boiler and we'll go from there.

Old 01-19-11, 05:03 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The aquastat is a Honeywell L8148A. And yes I replaced an existing HL30 indirect.

The boiler has always been warm/kept temp year round as long as I've been with the GF (about 8 yrs). And she says its always been that way.

It is a Dunkirk XEB-3 boiler with an Argo AVP 246P zone valve control. The indirect is wired to the priority zone but the priority swtich is off.

The boiler kept temp for a few weeks and now it stopped doing that. Maybe it would be better or more cost effective this way but I would rather have the aquastat right for this to happen. She does like the heat in the utility room to dry clothes on the bars...LOL.

Your advice /suggestions are much appreciated.

Ron

Old 01-19-11, 05:47 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Ron,

The aquastat is a Honeywell L8148A.
Wellllll... don't know what to tellya ... because this aquastat is a SINGLE... COLD START only... there is no LOW limit control on it. You may have noticed that there is only one temperature setting dial inside, and that is a HIGH LIMIT only.

Your description of the way it is operating now is perfectly consistent with the type of aquastat that it is.

If you go to Default - Honeywell Environmental And Combustion Controls and plug L8148A into the search box, you can 'read all about it' ... do the same with L8124A and you can read about the 'triple' aquastat which is the type that maintains a low limit.

It's possible that what is being noticed is the fact that when the weather is very cold, the boiler will run often, and possibly give the impression that it is maintaining a low limit. Here in the northeast (don't know where you are) the temps have 'moderated' a bit lately. The boiler won't run as much and will cool further between heat calls... possible ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: