steam bolier/indirect hot water heater combos

Old 02-23-11, 07:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
steam bolier/indirect hot water heater combos

Iíve decided to replace my 40+ year old oil steam boiler with a new gas powered steam one with an indirect hot water tank. I would appreciate any input on brands and models people have had good luck with (must have AFUE of at least 82% for rebate). Additionally, any advice on a size for the indirect tank? Itís a small 2 family house; couldnít imagine more than 4 adults living here.
My plumber likes Burnham boilers. Thinking of the independence model but not sure if the smaller size boiler I need provides the minimum MBtu/ hr of Burnhamís indirect h.w. tank.
Also, can any/all steam boilers run at a lower temperature in the summer when only hot water is needed? Thanks in advance for any response.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-11, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
I am no expert here in this department but would ask myself some things before I proceed.

1. Get a heat loss calculation done so it can be properly sized. I guess it goes by the radiators you already have there.
2. I guess a two family I would be thinking about two small boilers if the homes are seperate. But probably would be major repipe.
3. With the above I would be thinking of repiping for two zone and making it hot water. Remove the rads or make them HW. Adding returns from rads ect... Or remove and replace with baseboard.

Altthough I had steam heat rads as a kid and remember eating breakfast by a nice toasty rad. Ahh.... memorys...

Just my thoughts. The BTU grinders will be chiming in soon.

Mike NJ

Old 02-23-11, 08:21 AM
Steam boilers are sized to the radiation. I can't imagine that your radiators have a low BTU output. You would need to figure out your sq. ft. of EDR for all your radiators. Then multiply that by 240 BTU's. Check out the tech menu on Heat Loss calculation and Radiator Sizing Guide for measuring your sq ft of EDR.

I have a Burnham ES2 and their 35 gallon indirect tank. My showers have an endless supply of hot water with a 105k BTU boiler. We have never run the two showers at once so I don't know how that would behave, but we can shower back to back with no problem. What size boiler was recommended to you?

Old 02-23-11, 01:44 PM
Just finalized with plumber. Getting a Burnham independence IN6 (108k BTU) steam boiler. Now just need to decide on indirect hot water heater. I need to go this route because pipe into chimney is too low for a gas h.w. heater. Couldn't afford to repipe whole house right now so no zoning of the heat. May incorporate some baseboard radiation in the basement

Old 02-25-11, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Did the plumber measure all the radiators and calculate the load from that? If not .......STOP now. Do not oversize a steam boiler.
As far as the h/w load is it just two standard bath rooms, clothes washer and maybe a dishwasher?
If so I would do the AL35SL
Might want to check this out.

Piping an Indirect Tank into a Steam Boiler

Old 02-28-11, 10:25 AM
boiler sizing

do I need to add any BTUs to the boiler size to accommodate an indirect? I've also noticed using a steam boiler seems to void the warranty of many indirects. Are some better designed for hotter water?

Old 02-28-11, 10:45 AM
I think the reason behind that is with a hot water boiler, all of the oxygen is removed from the system water. With a steam boiler, oxygen remains in the water. Perhaps the potential for corrosion is why it voids the warranty. Pure speculation on my part.

Old 02-28-11, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The reason is most are designed with a max water input temp of 200f. If piped right you can make this happen. Another reason is dirt from the bottom of the steam boiler but some manufacturers supply a tapping higher up in the boiler to accommodate this. The Independence does have these tapping's. Check the installation manual tapping page near the beginning.