Bell and Gossett 100 Pump Stopped - Not Coupling. Possible seized impeller?

Old 02-13-12, 02:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So I went ahead and had my boiler guy replace just the bearing assembly.

I talked it over with him and he said if I was to replace the motor I would need to use an equivalent motor (1/6hp). It had something to do with the way the system funnels water into different sections that go into different areas of the house. He was concerned that if I used the taco 007 that I might only have 1 or 2 radiators heat up and the rest would be cold.

I would like to replace the boiler someday, but that is a project for way down the road. I can't justify the price now... I wish I could figure out what my monthly heating bill would be like with a new boiler. What would be an adequate size boiler for my sized house(2300 sqft) ?

Thanks for all the input guys, and sorry to derail this 'B&G 100' thread. At least I got the B&G part right.

Old 02-13-12, 03:59 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Well that's good news that I don't have to figure out how to ship that old pump out!

I wish I could figure out what my monthly heating bill would be like with a new boiler. What would be an adequate size boiler for my sized house(2300 sqft) ?
It's difficult to put exact numbers on savings... can we ask how much you spend on heat now?

In order to know how big a boiler you need, one would have to do a 'heat loss calculation' in order to determine. It's something you could do yourself. The following link has a free download for "Slant Fin Heat Loss calculator". It's a small [edit- not that small! 172 MBYTES] software package that will allow you to enter the info for your home, and come up with a heat loss number. It might take a couple of hours measuring and entering the data. Lots of the guys here use the program so if you have questions, ask.

Contact Us - P.V. Sullivan Supply Co., Inc.

I know how the guys around here love 'rules of thumb', but big old drafty Victorians with no insulation, balloon framing, etc might need about 40-50 BTU / SQ FT. Reasonably well constructed homes are around 25-35 ... modern construction can sometimes get as low as 15...

Using a very high number, let's say 40 ... that would put the heat loss of your home at UNDER 100K BTU... and the chances are pretty slim that your loss is even that high. Best case, your boiler is FOUR TIMES larger than needs be. Worst case, maybe FIVE!

sorry to derail this 'B&G 100' thread.
Not a problem... along the same lines of the thread, and it was an old inactive thread. If it was a new active thread, we just would have moved it to a new one is all.

Old 02-13-12, 05:33 PM
M
It's difficult to put exact numbers on savings... can we ask how much you spend on heat now?

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...#ixzz1mJdHSSTq
How about the natural gas use in McF, will this work?
Jan 12 - 26.8 McF
Dec 11 - 22.3 McF
Nov 11 - 15.7 McF
Oct 11 - low
Sep 11 - very low
Aug 11 - very low
Jul 11 - very low
June 11 - very low
May 11 - low
Apr 11 - 18.5 McF
Mar 11 - 22.9 McF
Feb 11 - 31.2 McF
Jan 11 - 34.8 McF

Old 02-13-12, 06:15 PM
P
30,000 cubic feet of gas
equals
about 220 gallons of fuel oil
or 305 therms.
or a little more than a cord of hardwood

oil at 3.60= $792
gas at 1.20= $366

Peter

Old 02-16-12, 03:21 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Nemesis, I moved your post to a new thread... look in the main listing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: