Need to hit RESET BUTTON once every 2 days on a Weil Mclain Boiler series 68

Old 03-05-11, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need to hit RESET BUTTON once every 2 days on a Weil Mclain Boiler series 68

I need to keep hitting the reset button on a Weil Mclain Boiler series 68 Beckett Burner AFG every 2 days. When I do it fires right up. Except the other day, hit the reset and it didn't fire up so I turned off the E swithch. Tried again and same thing.No Fire. I opened transfomer cover, and rotated the blower wheel. Closed tranformer cover turned on E switch, hit the reset and it fired right up. Could it be a bad motor?? Thanks for your help and time. Not a TECH. Retired FireFighter. It was tuned up 6 weeks ago by TECH.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-11, 10:48 AM
hi murph

(Was reluctant to respond because I thought at first you might be a good friend of mine, Peter Murphy, and he is denser than 10 inches of lead.LOL. But I see you had a different career.)

Im not one of the experts here on the forum. But I thought maybe this thread might be relevant. I have a feeling the pros might want to know if you have a voltage meter and know how to use it. Maybe not! But good luck!

Need to hit reset button every day - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 03-06-11, 05:30 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It could be a bad motor... or a bad connection... or a bad control.

Old 03-07-11, 04:36 AM
Do you think it would be worth my while to pull the motor and check it with a ohm meter? If I do, and it is ok, should I replace the coupler??? Thanks

Old 03-07-11, 04:12 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't think you can check the motor with an ohmmeter... at least not easily...

Maybe Grady is around... he posted a while back about encountering some motors that had a similar problem. Something about a 'bad spot' on the armature. Perhaps he will expand upon that.

The coupler won't stop the motor from running. If the coupler is bad, the motor will run but the fuel pump will not.

Old 03-07-11, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There he goes again, ratttling my chain.
If it is a split phase motor (no capacitor) the problem is likely with the start switch & can be tested with an ohmmeter.
To test the start switch (Not always 100% accurate):
You will need a meter capable of reading to 0.1 ohm.

Remove motor & place closed end down on bench or floor.
Connect one ohmmeter lead to each motor lead.
Note the reading. (ie: 6.8 ohms)
Lift up on the motor shaft without allowing any rotation.
Note the reading. (ie: 4.2 ohms)
If there is more than a couple of tenths change between readings, the start switch is gone or on it's way out. Replace the motor.

As I said this test is not 100%. Sometimes it will show little to no change & the motor is still bad. (Call that a false negative.) I've never had a false positive.

Old 03-22-11, 04:40 PM
Replaced the motor. There definately was a big difference. Been two weeks. Just had to hit the reset again. Do you think I should put a Tiger Loop on the fuel Line?Everything else seems fine.

Old 03-22-11, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To get an idea where the problem lies is going to take a little observation on your part.
The next time you have to reset, a few seconds after the burner fires open the observation port door & look at the flame. If it is unusually yellow or orange or large that would tell us there is excess oil present & we might want to look at the ignition system or nozzle.

Old 03-23-11, 07:08 AM
It is so bright in there I can't even look in there................... I know the nozzel it the size it calls for.... .65x80A

Old 03-23-11, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is that bright after only a few seconds that would seem to indicate there is no fuel being injected into the chamber. If the burner has a fuel solenoid it could be failing to open. If there is no solenoid, the primary control or aquastat if it's an R8182 could be failing to send power to the motor.

Old 03-23-11, 04:44 PM
Something interesting happened. Needed to hit reset button again. The red diode was glowing. Before I could hit the reset button, the phone rang so I answered it. When I came back to reset the Honeywell R8184G4066 control, the red diode was out and I could not reset the control. I turn the "E" Switch off for a minute then back on. The red diode illuminated. Would that be a sign that the control was bad????

Hit reset and it fired right up....

P.S. New motor works great....:

Old 03-23-11, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh boy The fact the light went out makes me think the primary is not getting power. Said power comes from B1 & B2 on the aquastat. If you can catch it again, check for 120 volts between those two terminals. I don't want to throw parts at it on a hunch.
The aquastat could be either an R8148 or R8182. Does the boiler stay hot all the time or only fire on demand for heat?

Old 03-25-11, 06:36 AM
Have done alot of observation on this Burner/Boiler. Sometimes the burner fires right up, sometimes there is a 2 second delay. I checked the transformer, Call me crazy, but the arch appears very week and yellow, not the crisp blue arch. I am not an expect in no means, but would it be a good idea to change out the transformer?? All else is good. Proper settings on the draw tube.

One more question. What is the differance between the Beckett Model 51771U and the 51771UG

My is a Beckett BLL101

That diode thing must have been a fluke. No problem since. 110 between B1 B2

Old 03-25-11, 08:23 AM
Found the answer to my question in reguards to number 51771GU. The G is how the Granger Corp wants it labeled. They have a contract with Beckett. The 51771GU transformer is the same as the 51771U from Beckett. I had the number wrong on the post to begin with. Sorry Stupid me...

Old 03-25-11, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The delayed ignition coupled with a weak yellow arc certainly does point in the direction of a transformer on its way out. Don't know what Granger wants for one but Patriot has 'em for $33.
Patriot Supply - 51771U

Old 03-25-11, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your help. Funny you should mention Patriot. That's where I get my supplies.

Old 04-01-11, 06:01 AM
Put new transformer on burner and all is well. So far no problems. Thanks all for your advice.

Old 04-01-11, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're welcome. Glad we could help. Intermittent problems are a bear to troubleshoot. Sometimes you get lucky & get 'em on the first shot, other times, not so lucky.