help purchasing new gas boiler

Old 03-06-11, 08:33 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help purchasing new gas boiler

Hello all, I am new to this forum and also new to boilers. I just moved to upstate New York and purchased a home that has a 19 year old Dunkirk oil burning boiler in a 19 year ild home. Oil is $3.65 a gallon and I used nearly 200 gallons each month heating my home Dec, Jan and Feb.

That being said, I am going to have natural gas piped to the house and want to convert to a natural gas boiler because I believe my heating bill will kill me if I dont.
The home is 3100 square feet and is all 2x6 construction with dual pane windows and very well insulated.

1: will the transition from an oil burning unit to a condensing high effeciency gas unit save me lots of $$?

2: I know this is a ford vs. chevy question, but what brand would be the best to go with?

3: What is a reasonable price to pay for a unit to be installed? The unit is in the basement in the front corner of the house which will be 5' from the gas meter and it is siting in its own room about 6'x6'. The unit has 5 zones and a zone for the indirect water heater. I keep the thermostats at 72 during the winter. I know it is a little high but I have 2 new borns.

the quotes below are very similar with what they are going to change out.

Peerless PF110 $8550 includes a 2 year parts and labor warranty and a 10 year parts warranty

Buderus GB 142/45 160,000btu$10,292 1 year parts and labor warranty

Bryant BW9 125,000btu 1 year parts and labor warranty

Mestek unknown model. $7500. This one would be installed by a friend of a friend that is certified hvac.

Are these prices in line? Thanks for any help given. This is a big investment and I am concerned.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-11, 08:50 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The very first thing to do is a HEAT LOSS CALCULATION. It is very likely if your home is constructed as well as you say it is that you won't need more than a 100K BTU boiler. Perhaps even as small as 80K ...

I think all your prices are high for a relatively simple swap out... 10G for a Buderus?
Of course these prices include removal of the existing boiler and all associated stuff, including the oil tank, correct? That might add a bit, but I still think they are all high.

A PROPERLY INSTALLED mod-con (question 1) will probably save SOME fuel money... but LOTS? that's debatable. What do you consider 'lots' ? percentage wise...

Q2: if you go with a mod-con, then TRIANGLE TUBE.

AGAIN, Do, or have done, a detailed heat loss calculation on the home... it's not an emergency, your old system is still working. Don't make any hasty decisions! You will pay the price for that for the life of the boiler system.

If you encounter an installer that doesn't, or won't do a heat loss, find another installer. ESPECIALLY if all they do is look at the data plate on the old boiler and want to replace with the same (or larger) size.

It is not at all uncommon for older installations to have boilers that are 2,3, or even 4 times larger than they need to be! Fuel was cheap 20 years ago.

Old 03-06-11, 08:56 AM
NJT
I suspect that the Mestek unit may be a HYDROTHERM. Mestek owns them.

See if you can find that model from 'the guy'.

I'm always leary of a 'friend of a friend'... probably working under the table... and service after the fact may be touchy.

One thing to remember is that any boiler ain't worth a poop if it ain't installed properly.

SHOP CAREFULLY!

Old 03-06-11, 09:36 AM
D
I don't think the prices are far off. The quotes I got for a mod/con replacement in my house were higher. Don't forget he is going to need some repiping around the boiler so it's not just a pull the old one out, drop the new one in, and resolder a couple pipes.

It's hard to say how much you will save. The price of heating oil is very volatile. Going to gas will help protect you from those huge and unexpected swings. It wasn't too long ago when the price of heating oil shot way up into over $4 a gallon. Given the current political climate in the mideast, I think it's a smart move.

Old 03-06-11, 02:08 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I would not totally rule out a gas fired sidewall vented cast iron boiler. If properly sized the life cycle cost will be about the same.

Old 03-06-11, 04:22 PM
NJT
Droo, those quoted prices were not for a mod-con...

Old 03-06-11, 05:26 PM
D
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Droo, those quoted prices were not for a mod-con...
oooooooh. Well. I paid $9k for my boiler and indirect tank. Plus I had my one zone seperated into two. So I guess maybe $7k or so if it was just the boiler. You will probably need to line your chimney with a stainless steel liner. Mine cost abouyt $1200 installed.