Heating System Replacement

Old 03-12-11, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heating System Replacement

I am looking to replace my 24 year old Peerless TW125 oil fired system primarily to improve efficiency. The candidates: Burnham MPO, Buderus 115, and System 2000 each with indirect water heater. I have read bad things regarding Burnham castings (boiler leaks, poor casting quality). Have not been able to find much on the Buderus (some good some bad). The System 2000 comments seem to crab the control panel, the burner (not the boiler), and installation issues. Also I have pricey quotes $9000 for Burnham and $9200 for the 2000. Any input regarding maintenance, performance, price etc. is welcomed. For now the Burnham is off my table.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-11, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
How about the weil mclain? 86 AFUE

Find Oil Boilers & Oil Fired Boilers | Weil-McLain

Mike NJ

Old 03-12-11, 08:09 AM
I've heard the Burnham MPO is supposed to be a good oil fired boiler. I replaced a 24 year old Burnham in my house with another. It didn't have any leaks when it got replaced. My father-in-law also recently replaced his Burngham of similar age. It did not have any leaks either. The plumber I hired to install my new boiler prefers Burnham because of their customer support. He said it's difficult to get other companies involved when things aren't working right with the equipment.

Old 03-12-11, 01:27 PM
The MPO is an excellent oil-fired boiler. I think our esteemed moderator NJTrooper it highly as well. There were some issues with Burnham's V7 castings, particularly when exposed to poor water quality. Every manufacturer has an issue in their closet....

Any of those will be a good boiler. The major issues are sizing and installation. Even the best equipment in the hands of a knucklehead will perform poorly. Do or have done a heat loss calculation for the house. Do not replace with the boiler of same size, or size based on amount of radiation. Do the heat loss. Search around here threads and links to software and advice.

Shop the installer. Check references. Ask to see his book of pictures of installs. Don't be in a rush to pick an installer or get the installation done.

Last edited by xiphias; 03-12-11 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Half of the managers that are replaced on the System 2000 are due to misdiagnosis. In addition, the limited lifetime warranty is set up so that, unless hit by lightning, their rebuild program keeps the actual replacement cost at the same level as a primary control.

I don't know what gripes there are about the burners, since they are off the shelf models from Beckett and Carlin and all parts are standard.

Old 03-17-11, 06:21 PM
I just had the System 2000 installed last December. It really is as quiet as a microwave oven. So far so good in my book.
Your price sounds about right.