Help evaluating boiler estimates

Old 03-21-11, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help evaluating boiler estimates

Oil to gas conversion. Burham units provided by National Grid, no gas at residence now.
Contactor A:
Includes Install, oil tank removal, old boiler removal, new fast fill, backflow, low water cutoff, expansion tank, spirovent, circulator, 2 zone valves and installing remote emergency cut off switch. Also includes propane range conversion and piping for natural gas.
Alpine 105K $8130 with pvc exhaust, condensate pump w/neutralizer
Series 2 96K $5930 w/o chimney liner which he requires.
---------------------------------------------
Contractor B:
Includes install, range conversion, new circulator and 2 zone valves
Series 2 96k $5500. Does not include tank removal, chimney liner or remote boiler switch.

Contractor A has the more detailed estimate and will handle all permitting and interaction with National Grid pertaining to piping from the street.

Your thoughts????

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-11, 04:28 PM
Contractor A,
He has spent the time, and taken the effort to prepare a detailed quote.
Your old oil tank MUST be taken away (at least in my area I should say), and you will need a liner for the new gas boiler. The switch is nothing special.

Old 03-21-11, 05:44 PM
Did either of them do a heat loss calculation? 105k is a pretty big boiler and chances are your building doesn't even have 100k worth of heat emitters. 80k is more than enough for a typical residence in RI. Particularly if you do anything to improve the building envelope by insulating and air sealing. Contractor A seems to have presented the most thorough bid, at least based on what you provided here. Check references. Ask to see pictures of his installs.

Specify in your contract that the boiler is to be vented, piped, and wired according to the manufacturer specifications.

Old 03-21-11, 06:36 PM
He explained to me in the meeting that he installed these (Burnham) boilers all the time and that he would install it as the manuf required. He did know alot about the boiler. He answered all my questions accurately. As far as the size, I asked him about using the smaller model. He mentioned future expansion for an indirect and that on the lowest modulation, there is only a 5k btu difference.
If the unit is modulating, what would the real benefit be going with the smaller boiler other than the $150 less cost?

Old 03-21-11, 06:42 PM
80k is plenty for an indirect on priority. Go right-sized, not over. A significant chunk of this boiler's lifetime will be at or below minimum modulation, so the lower the better.