Oil to Electric Hot water

Old 04-08-11, 03:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil to Electric Hot water

So I did some reading and some figuring and I figure I am at or over the point for it to be cheaper to get an electric hot water heater. I am approximating 1/2 gallon a day of oil at $4 a gallon (ha ha) or $60 a month as opposed to $40 a month for electric. I have a line on a heater for free that is 1.5 years old as my buddy switched to gas. Here are the questions. First I have read some boilers do not like to be shut down totally due to condensation and being steel. I am assuming mine is not one of them since it is a cold start. (only comes on when there is a demand, there is no low limit) Bought the boiler in 2003 Well Mcclain P-W-GO-3 100k boiler with a Becket burner. Second I plan on leaving everything on the Boiler just the way it is. I have the Old style dial control on my Amtrol, can I just turn it to off and close the valves to the tank and run off the Electric. Would there be harm on leaving the water in the tank or should I drain it.
With the free water heater and 15 to 20 $ a month savings it may be worth it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-11, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
I know its a free heater but for long term savings have you considered a heat pump? They are not cheaper but after the tax credit and rebate you might be looking at total cost of $500. Youll save more $

60 gallon AO smith. They dont make smaller.
Voltex® Hybrid Electric Heat Pump - Water Heaters Residential by A. O. Smith

50 gal GE
Electric Water heaters, Electric Hot Water Heater | GE Appliances

Rheem has a 40. (It a GE)
Specifications - Rheem Hybrid Electric Water Heater Featuring Heat Pump Technology

Mike NJ

Old 04-09-11, 04:27 AM
I will look into those, I may do some research on switching my whole heating set up to a heat pump. Am I OK as far as turning the knob off and closing the valves.

Old 04-09-11, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Yes turn the t stat down and shut the valves. I would probaby drain it too, but I would disconnect the power so it dont dry fire.

Take a few better pics

Mike NJ

Old 04-09-11, 09:43 AM
Will post better Pic's when and if I do the change. I am really thinking about one of those hybrid ones, but have to do more research

Old 04-09-11, 02:31 PM
Ground source heat pump or air source. The air source may not be a better option if you live too far north. Ground source works well.

Old 04-09-11, 03:16 PM
It is an air source for the hot water heater. I know in the winter it will pull heat from the house and cool the area it is in so I do not know about that, but in the summer it will act as a dehumidifer and help out in the basement. If I went for a whole house unit I would use the ground source either having wells drilled or trenches dug.