Square Feet of Radiation from Radiators

Old 04-08-11, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Square Feet of Radiation from Radiators

I am getting a new gas fired steam boiler, the radiation i need comes in at 340 square feet, this was measured by the contractor and also by me so the numbers are correct. My contractor wants to either sell me a boiler rated at 325 or a 392 square foot of radiation. He is leaning towards the 392 square foot, i am wondering if this would be too much over what is required, any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-11, 07:11 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First question is there insulation on the horizontal mains in the basement?
I am not too concerned with being 15 sq feet under but I hate being 52 sq ft over. If you don't feel good about going under the connected load look at other brands. You can get closer to the 340 sq ft.
Just a side note, if you go under the near boiler piping is more critical to be correct, insulate the near boiler piping and all vertical steam piping in the basement. Also a good idea to use the second vertical riser from the boiler, providing there is a second riser tap in the boiler, even though it may not be required. This creates dryer steam which leaves more water in the boiler and the steam moves faster in the piping.

Old 04-13-11, 04:40 PM
feedback for new boiler

Yes the main header and pipes are fully insulated, i want to thank you for your input, i just don't want to get a boiler too big or too small either. Jim

Old 04-14-11, 08:22 PM
i sent you a message jasjms.