Replacing huge oil fired boiler hard time locating a small enough replacement

Old 04-14-11, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing huge oil fired boiler hard time locating a small enough replacement

So after an energy audit the current boiler is leaving. I had a pluming re rout and now have new thermostats, valves, exsp tank and the works less than 4 months old. The heat loss calc for my house is 60k BTU's
My current boiler is 175k . Yes i know this is obnoxiously over sized even living in alaska.

Ive started to research boiler to fit my nead and im having a hard time finding one's that are small enough with the big name Manf. well Mclain, Burham.

One boiler I was looking at was the Biasi B-3 any opinions? Ive never heard of the brand but reviews online seem good.

im very open to other brands I don't want the cheapest but I don't want to spend $10k either

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-11, 03:37 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
For various reasons it's difficult to design and manufacture very small BTU oil fired boilers. I think the smallest you will find is going to be a bit above your heat loss ... which isn't a show stopper.

I always recommend the Burnham MPO but the B3 is a good piece of equipment also. The MPO would be my choice mainly due to the ease of cleaning the thing... the easier it is to clean, the more likely that it will be done regularly, and that's key to keeping the efficiency up there. Check it out:

http://www.usboiler.burnham.com/prod...o-iq/index.php

Old 04-18-11, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The MPO-IQ 84 has a DOE output of 74k. This is pretty close. Use the ODR card to increase system efficiency.

Old 04-21-11, 06:55 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Energy Kinetics System 2000 is a big seller in AK. Yes the minimum output is still considerably more than your heat loss but the post-purge feature of the system manager negates the over size factor giving it a higher system efficiency than most systems on the market, even those with outdoor reset.

Old 04-21-11, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The IQ control on the Burnham MPO has a post purge and also a pre-purge. It also has a frost protection setting.

It appears the frost protection and pre-purge are new and I'm a bit disappointed I don't have the pre-purge on my IQ control. But I guess that's what happens when you get the first generation.