condensation on temp/pressure gauge

Old 05-14-11, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
condensation on temp/pressure gauge

I have a weil mcclain WTGO boiler that has a combination temp/pressure gauge. The boiler is currently set to 180F and I have notices over the last several months that there is water condensation on the inside of the guage...so much so that you can barely read it. It doesn't seem to be losing any pressure, but seems like it may be a leak of some sort? No water is dripping out of it, just condensation inside the gauge. Should I replace the temp/pressure gauge?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 06:20 AM
Replace the gauge. .................

Old 05-17-11, 09:23 PM
got a new gauge. Do I need to depressurize the boiler and let it cool before I replace it?

Old 05-17-11, 10:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
No, you need to turn off the make-up water, let it cool to about 100 degrees and then depressurize it.

Old 05-18-11, 05:18 AM
You need to drain the water out of the system until it is below the gauge. Hopefully you have some shutoff valves for your heating zones to isolate the boiler so you only drain water from the boiler.

Old 05-18-11, 10:23 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
It really isn't necessary to drain down to the fitting. Have the new unit already to install (Teflon tape and Teflon goo on the threads) before removing the defective gauge and put the new one in immediately. You might lose a couple of ounces of water but it is better than losing a gallon or more.

Be sure to close any vent you opened to relieve the pressure BEFORE removing the old gauge. You need to relieve the pressure but then close the system again. This will create a partial vacuum (slight) and keep any large amount of water from leaving the fitting for the one second it is open.