Oil Disposal ?

Old 05-26-11, 09:36 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil Disposal ?

I have nearly a case of new auto engine oil back (1990s) from when I used to change my own. Can I mix this a little at a time into my heating oil tank to use it up? No one I know still does their own changes and besides it is old. I know I could deposit it as used oil but it is clean & seems a waste not to use it in some way.

Old 05-27-11, 04:59 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You cannot burn your motor oil in your boiler.

Old 05-27-11, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There must be a local person who still changes their oil. Maybe a person with a motorcycle or ATV who would use it? If it's a straight 30 weight a small engine shop might want it.

Yard sale? How about Freecycle.org?

Old 05-27-11, 04:25 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bring it over to my house but please do not put it in your fuel oil tank!

Old 05-27-11, 05:33 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
When I was working we always dumped waste lubricating oil in the fuel oil tanks. Of course our minimum firing rate was about 20 gallons an hour with probably an 800 gallon per hour recirculation into a minimum of a 25,000 gallon tank.

Seriously, if you have a two-pipe fuel system (recirculation back to the tank) then adding a quart or two to every 250-300 gallon tank fill is not going to hurt anything. If you have a single pipe or Tiger Loop then don't do it. Myself, I'd look for someone that could actually use it as lubricating oil or else take it to a haz-mat dump.

Old 05-28-11, 08:00 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
adding a quart or two to every 250-300 gallon tank fill is not going to hurt anything.
Maybe so Furd, but really, what's the point? It's gonna take 2-3 years to get rid of the oil that way and surely he can find someone that can use it for it's intended purpose in something. I know that if I put a case of motor oil at the curb with a sign that said FREE, it would be gone in about a minute.

Old 05-28-11, 09:58 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
Maybe so Furd, but really, what's the point? It's gonna take 2-3 years to get rid of the oil that way and surely he can find someone that can use it for it's intended purpose in something. I know that if I put a case of motor oil at the curb with a sign that said FREE, it would be gone in about a minute.
Which is why I wrote:
Myself, I'd look for someone that could actually use it as lubricating oil or else take it to a haz-mat dump.
My point is that motor/lubricating oil at a 500-to-one dilution is not going to cause any problem in a heating oil tank. It's a lousy way to get rid of the oil but it is sure a lot better than pouring it down the storm drain at the end of the block.

Old 05-28-11, 09:20 PM
B
Think I'll try sign at the curb approach first. Whenever I put out something metal while emptying garage somebody takes it. Thanks.

Old 06-01-11, 06:18 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Many years ago a furnace that I did part-time service on ate nozzles like they were going out of style. Couldn't figure it out. The building owner was a former burner tech so could change his own nozzles and filters. Eventually it was disclosed that a former employee of his had done an oil change on a vehicle and poured the used oil in the oil tank, a 275. It was really convenient so why not.

Eventually the oil diluted enough that the problem went away. Someone, somewhere in the area must have a waste oil burner that will take it.

Old 06-01-11, 05:02 PM
S
Older oils have additives that are not present in current oils. Older oils are in demand by people that restore older cars and build performance engines for that reason. Put it on craigslist and it will probably go quickly, and maybe you'll make a few scheckles too.

Old 07-19-11, 07:18 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
reading this thread vindicates me to all the people that looked at me funny when i asked 'does motor oil expire?"

one certainty in life is oil always goes up..the kind i use for my car is rarely on sale so i wanted to know if it was safe to stock up

Old 07-19-11, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When I have questions on what to do with stuff that can be a reusable, recycled or questionable, I just take it to the county recycling/hazardous waste center (good operating hours). They have separate lanes (petroleum, hazardous, household, etc.).

As long as I get it into the back of my Jimmy and drive there, I don't have to get out as I show I am resident, they will unload the materials and then sweep everything off the carpeting. They do look at what it is and I had a partial gallon can of paint that had dried out and the gave it back to me and said "Just thow in in your normal trash".

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: