Venting question

Old 06-01-11, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Venting question

Hi, I am in the process of installing my Vitodens 100 Boiler and Rinnai Tankless water heater R75Lsi NG.

Here is a picture with more accurate installation of the units, thanks to you forum members.

I need little help here, i Have about 63" on the wall for the units (63" from inside wall corner to basement window), but i am stuck on the venting layout.

1- The vitodens will have a single 3" PVC pipe vent. room air intake
2- The rinnai will use SS Concentric vent, Pipe-within-pipe.

How far can they be apart from each other and from the outside corner and from the window?

Imageshack - boiler63.jpg

Thank in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-11, 04:44 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure that you need, or even want, a backflow/check valve at the inlet to the Rinnai. I'm not at all familiar with the installation of those, but it doesn't seem necessary... on standard storage type water heaters when a check valve is installed at the inlet to the water heater a potable water expansion tank must be added. The Rinnai may (or may not) have the same requirement.

If you use the 007 pump on the heat zone branch, I think you want to install a 'differential pressure valve' at the end of that branch. OR... use a pump such as the Grundfos Alpha which will automatically adjust itself as the zones open and close.

Grundfos Alpha

The vitodens will have a single 3" PVC pipe vent. room air intake
Why not outside intake for Vito too?

Old 06-01-11, 06:40 PM
NJ Trooper, I called rinnai about 3 things: LWCO, BFP and Mixing valve. and their answer were: LWCO 50-50 some reqiure it and some dont, Backflow preventer and mixing valve are a must...

The reason i choose to use room intake for the V100 is because i am not sure how far 2 concentric vents can be away from each other.

Maybe someone familiar with the code here in NJ can shed some light.

and about the circulator pump, i already ordered the parts so i think i'll stick with what i have for now unless something goes wrong...

Thanks again for your observations.

Old 06-02-11, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I wonder if a 007 is enough pump for the boiler?

Old 06-02-11, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Your not supposed to have any valves between the LWCO and the boiler. I think is needs to be higher also.

You can run the Vitodens 86 ft with 2". Subtract 5 ft for every 90. 3 ft for every 45. Do you have farther then that to go? 3" is 164 ft and the fitting footage is the same. The first 90 dont count, and you can only use 5 max. Just a thought, and wondering why your using 3"

Vent code NJ

503.8 Venting system termination location. The location of venting system terminations shall comply with the following (see Appendix C):

1. A mechanical draft venting system shall terminate at least 3 feet (914 mm) above any forced-air inlet located within 10 feet (3048 mm).

Exceptions:

1. This provision shall not apply to the combustion air intake of a direct-vent appliance.

2. This provision shall not apply to the separation of the integral outdoor air inlet and flue gas discharge of listed outdoor appliances.

2. A mechanical draft venting system, excluding direct-vent appliances, shall terminate at least 4 feet (1219 mm) below, 4 feet (1219 mm) horizontally from, or 1 foot (305 mm) above any door, operable window or gravity air inlet into any building. The bottom of the vent terminal shall be located at least 12 inches (305 mm) above finished ground level.

3. The vent terminal of a direct-vent appliance with an input of 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) or less shall be located at least 6 inches (152 mm) from any air opening into a building, and such an appliance with an input over 10,000 Btu per hour (3 kW) but not over 50,000 Btu per hour (14.7 kW) shall be installed with a 9-inch (230 mm) vent termination clearance, and an appliance with an input over 50,000 Btu/h (14.7 kW) shall have at least a 12-inch (305 mm) vent termination clearance. The bottom of the vent terminal and the air intake shall be located at least 12 inches (305 mm) above finished ground level.

4. Through-the-wall vents for Category II and IV appliances and noncategorized condensing appliances shall not terminate over public walkways or over an area where condensate or vapor could create a nuisance or hazard or could be detrimental to the operation of regulators, relief valves or other equipment. Where local experience indicates that condensate is a problem with Category I and III appliances, this provision shall also apply. Drains for condensate shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-02-11 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 11:55 AM
Very informative/good post. Thanks again.

I am in the process of installing the units, Had little set back with pressuring the 1 1/4" gas line. so far so good, line lost 1 psi in 6 days. could be leak from the schrader or pressure gauge.

slow process but getting there for the 1st time boiler installation.... to be ....