Oil Hot Water Heater & Boiler on Same Shutoff - Shutdown Boiler?

Old 06-03-11, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Hot Water Heater & Boiler on Same Shutoff - Shutdown Boiler?

For some reason, the heat and hot water system in our house is a separate oil hot water heater and a separate oil boiler. The strange thing is, they put both units on the same electric shutoff switch.

I'd like to shut off the boiler for the summer, but am not sure what the proper way would be to do that in this case?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-11, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
I would not think your using any electric, or fuel as long as as the t stat is off. Unless your aquastst has a hi and lo setting to keep the boiler warm. If this is the cause there is a wire you can remove to make it a cold start boiler.

Let us know what # aquastat you have. Also the make and model of boiler will be helpful.

Mike NJ

Old 06-03-11, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the help! The boiler does have an aquastat with hi and lo - I've set it low, but it still kicks on.

Old 06-03-11, 04:01 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
If your thermostat doesn't also control a central air system, the easiest way would be to simply turn the thermostat all the way up. Most modern t'stats have a HEAT-OFF-COOL switch on them so you could switch the t'stat to OFF. Or, you could pay an electrician to do some rewiring and add a switch.

Old 06-03-11, 04:05 PM
Kenmore II boiler

Honeywell aquastat "triple aquastat relay"
L8124A, C

Old 06-05-11, 10:43 AM
hi Poopman Ė

Iím not an expert by a long long shot, so take this for what itís worth. As you say the L8124A,C is a triple aquastat and that type is used on boilers that supply domestic hot water. (I had the L8124A,C. I had to replace it because it broke). The triple aquastat will make sure that your boiler doesnít cool below a minimum temperature so you always have domestic hot water.

Sounds like thatís not what you want or what you need? If your hot water heater is separate, it seems like the triple aquastat is the wrong control for your boiler? Wonder if the hot water heater was added later making the triple aquastat inappropriate?

But Iím less than a newbie! And so maybe way out in left field! The experts here might have something to say.

Good luck anyway!

Old 06-05-11, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
If you have this type aquastat here it shows if you disconnect the blue wire to disable the low.

Aquastat settings: Best High, Low, & DIFF Settings on a Heating Boiler Aquastat?

Mike NJ