finding off job contractors

Old 07-07-11, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finding off job contractors

i need to find an online directory of off job contractors. all the company’s are wanting to do everything all at once since their greedy. i want to do a lot of the work myself since i enjoy doing it and want to save money. so if you have any advice please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-11, 05:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hire companies to do specific jobs. Do what you can do, and hire for the rest. What, specifically, are your immediate projects? I have clients do it all the time. I give them specific estimates in phases that will compliment their work. I could do the entire job faster, but they are the boss and I understand their economic situation. It is a little more expensive doing it that way, since I have to set up shop more than once, but I'm cool with it.

Old 07-08-11, 04:37 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's fair to call them greedy... businesses have expenses, and controlling them is the key to staying in business and remaining profitable. This isn't to say that some aren't [greedy], just that it's not fair to throw all contractors into the same box. Don't begrudge the honest guys their living!

What Chandler said about 'setting up shop' is a consideration also... when a contractor 'deploys', there are certain fixed costs that are figured into the job. To ask them to come out and do a part of the job, then stop so you can do your part, then come back to do something else, keep in mind that certain fixed charges are added each time.

Depending on just how much you do yourself, you will likely save some cash, but understand that some of those sweat equity savings will get eaten up by having contractors in multiple times to complete their assigned tasks.

I would like to caution that it's not allowable to give references and such here in the public forum, so send the poster a private message if you have specific suggestions of that nature. Non-abiding posts will be deleted.