Oil burner wont fire

Old 07-08-11, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil burner wont fire

I have a Becket AFG burner that wont fire up. It started tripping the reset 2 days ago and now wont fire. The tank gauge read near empty so I had it filled but the 275g tank only took 197g and the supply line is out of the bottom so minimal "dead" space. The delivery man believes that the filter needs changed and that it wont allow fuel to the burner. Makes sense. I pulled the filter and it is filthy. Should I check/replace anything else. Can I run with no filter briefly to assist in diagnosis? Thanks, Eric.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-11, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi ericĖ

There are experts on this forum, thatís for sure, BUT I AM NOT ONE OF THEM! Iím a newbie. Iím sure youíll get some expert help later.

But I have a Beckett AFG also (older model I guess). Seems to me that if there is any kind of sludge that was pulled into your oil line because you ran low, then I was thinking if your ran without the filter maybe you would just sludge up your fuel pump on the burner and your nozzle line on the burner? Could it make things worse?

Like you I ran low once and my oil filter was unbelievable. I couldnít believe anything was getting through it. I would vote not to run without the filter. I think the guys on the forum here would be able to walk you through the steps to determine if your oil line is blocked somewhere. I would bet they would anyway! Maybe itís just a really badly clogged oil filter. Hope so.

Good luck

Old 07-08-11, 04:43 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, what Dad sed. Don't do it.

It's also likely that if your filter is that gunked up, there's a possibility that you haven't had the burner maintained in quite a while... just guessing.

There are other things that should be checked too... for example, there's a screen in the fuel pump itself that should probably be changed.

If you haven't had the burner serviced in like a year or more, I think the best advice would be to get a tech in and have a tune-up.

Old 07-09-11, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I had tech come out and changed the filter and nozzle. When he turned it on he immediately recognized the sound of a bad motor/pump coupling. He changed out the coupling and everything is fine. He also put in a bottle of anti-sludge addictive to the tank. He said it would go straight to the bottom and clean the line. He said when he bled the line to fire it up, he got the additive pretty quick so the line is in good shape. Sound right or did I pay for some B.S.. Thanks to everyone.

Old 07-09-11, 08:22 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds good to me... I do hope he checked the screen in the pump, checked and adjusted the pump pressure, cleaned and adjusted the electrodes, cleaned any dust buildup from the blower fins, cleaned the combustion chamber and heat exchanger, and did a complete combustion analysis... and probably a few other things I didn't mention.

Depending on what you paid you may or may not have gotten your money's worth...