Hot water baseboard heating to radiant floor heating?

Old 08-22-11, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water baseboard heating to radiant floor heating?

Hello everyone,

My wife and I just recently purchased our first home. It is a 1975 house with hot water baseboard heating. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the system with radiant heating under the floor?

Currently there is carpet all over the house except for the kitchen, bathrooms, and laundry. We plan on putting wood flooring in the dining room, living room, and family room, and possibly laminate or engineered wood flooring in the bedrooms.

The house is 1 story 3 bedrooms about 2600 sq feet. We have a crawl space but there isn't a lot of room (you can't stand up). The basement takes about 800-1000sq feet and is mainly under the living room, family room, and part of the kitchen. The crawl space sections extend under the kitchen, laundry room, the bedrooms and bathrooms. The basement is "finished" but it's poorly done so I wouldn't mind tearing the ceiling. Is it possibly to add it and refinish the basement after?

Any thoughts? Is this too much to do?

We are in Northern Colorado.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-11, 05:22 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Using a product such as Warmboard would be my preference. It isn't cheap and it would raise the level of your floors a bit but the performance is far better than putting the heat below the subfloor.

Warmboard Radiant Heat Subfloor: Simply Smarter Radiant Heat

Old 08-22-11, 06:42 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CAL5101 View Post
My wife and I just recently purchased our first home. It is a 1975 house with hot water baseboard heating. I was wondering if it is possible to replace the system with radiant heating under the floor?
Of course it's possible - but why? Have you experienced a winter with the existing baseboard? If so, what was the problem?

Old 08-23-11, 11:15 AM
We haven't experienced the winter yet. The home is feeling colder than what I would like in the mornings. I wouldn't want to do it if it is unnecessary, but the thought went through my head since we will be installing the hardwood floors and I've been dusting and cleaning the baseboards.

Old 08-23-11, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by CAL5101 View Post
The home is feeling colder than what I would like in the mornings.
It's August - are you already running heat in your house?

Old 08-23-11, 12:06 PM
No. I turn the thermostat up a bit before going to bed for the zone which heats the family room which is the main area we are in in the early morning. My wife is generally the one feeling colder all the time. The home inspector did mention that we need to add more insulation to the whole house, so that may be a factor.

Old 08-23-11, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
I'm not sure why you're thinking about changing a system you haven't tried yet - it might be just fine.

Old 08-23-11, 09:21 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
I'm with Mitch, I think you should go through one heating season with what you have and then think about upgrades.

I will state that if you have some money to spend now that insulation and weathersealing will pay back dividends as long as you live there.

Old 08-23-11, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Possibly his current heating system is not working properly.

Whats the make and model of the boiler?
How is your hot water heated?
What is the condition of the baseboard?
Whats the temp and pressure gauge read on the boiler?

Possibly not enough airflow if the baseboard is right on the carpet.

Take pics. It always helps.

Mike NJ