Weil-McLain Steam Boiler Issues

Old 10-15-11, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil-McLain Steam Boiler Issues

I have a Weil-McLain PEG 40 Boiler (Steam - radiators) and last week we turned up the heat to around 75 to get the chill out of the house and after around 1 hour or so the smoke alarm went off in the boiler/laundry room. When I went into the room I noticed that steam and water was coming out of the overflow pipe which has a relief valve next to it.

We had a contractor come over and he told me that I put too much water in the boiler. I argued that I never let the level on the glass tube get more than 3/4 of the way filled but he insisted that what it was.

Yesterday I turned the heat back up to 75 and after an hour or so the same thing happend.

Any ideas on what it could be? Maybe the relief valve needs to be replaced?

Thank you for any suggestions you could recommend.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-11, 10:22 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Overflow pipe? next to the relief valve?

Is this 'overflow pipe' actually connected to the relief valve?

Can you take some pictures of what you are describing? Set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload pics there. Come back here and post a link to your PUBLIC photo album.

Please make sure the pics are in focus, well lighted, and large enough for old dudes to see the details. In addition to any close shots, please take several from a distance and several angles so we can see the whole system.

Old 10-15-11, 10:30 AM
NJT
When all this was happening, did you chance to notice what the pressure gauge on the boiler was reading?

What are the settings on your Pressuretrol control ?

Old 10-16-11, 04:14 PM
thats your safety valve blowing off. just to clarify safety valves are for steam, relief valves are on hot water, there is a difference. you can very easily solve this problem yourself. if you haven't had your boiler serviced, your first area of concern should be your pigtail that is between the boiler and your pressuretrol. if that is completely clogged, it won't work and cause your boiler to continuously run raising your pressure above the safety valves setting. if that isn't clogged the only two things it can be is the safety valve or a defective pressuretrol, with the more probable being the later of the two.

Old 10-16-11, 05:36 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I am not sure that either is wrong. I would first go with the contractors synopsis due to water and steam coming out of the valve. If there is no water above the relief valve then only steam should come out. I would look for a bad feeder, LWCO or washer in the feed valve. Check the water level and see if it creeps above the 3/4 mark on the gage glass. It may creep up over time.

Old 10-16-11, 05:41 PM
NJT
Maybe possible a 'slow return' that's flooding the boiler?

Old 10-16-11, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would agree except he said he tries to keep 3/4 in the sight glass, unless he did not mention changes.
I guess the proper questions would be are you adding water more frequent, water hammer you did not have last year.

Old 10-17-11, 03:34 PM
if yu don't have an auto feed then 99% of the time you won't need to worry about over filling. when the safety valve pops, you have to remember that you got 15 psi of steam pressure coming out of a small 3/4" or 1" tapping. the velocity of the steam is sure to carry water out with it. check the pigtail like i said. i'm yet to see a safety pop because of too much water, it just doens't make sense in a open system.