Is Buderus 2107 and a Taco Zone valve controller redundant?

Old 10-17-11, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is Buderus 2107 and a Taco Zone valve controller redundant?

Greetings,

Replacing an 80s Weil McClain with a Buderus Oil Fired G115WS5. I plan to use the logamatic 2107 and am confused as to whether I can utilize a Taco 6 zone controller (ZVC406-EXP-1) in conjunction with the 2107. The system is a 6 zone plus indirect. I'll need to use the expansion Master/Slave feature with a second zone control to get all zones and DHW controlled. My question really is the logamaitic maximum zone capacity. Thanks for your insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-11, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi,

I would probably nix the 2107. Although just get a 6 zone switching relay Taco controller. Probably the SR506. The 2107 is probably alot of money and may be better suited for a condensing boiler.

Page 64 here.

http://www.buderus.us/files/20100623..._06%202010.pdf

But I would opt for the taco ZVC406-EXP 6 zone control, which is the expandable version. then add a taco pc 700 outdoor reset. You need the exp. version to add the outdoor reset pc 700.

Not my expertise and others will chime in.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...2(102-097).pdf
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/102-108.pdf
Boiler for reference.
Buderus Conventional Boilers | 115WS | Domestic Hot Water Heating | Condensing Boilers

Mike NJ

Old 10-17-11, 04:26 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not quite sure I fully understand what you want to learn.

Are you saying that the 406 is PRE-EXISTING? or is this something you are thinking you might use.

I am not so quick to nix the 2107... it's a good control. But we need a better understanding of what you have now, and where you want to go.

Old 10-17-11, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Although just get a 6 zone switching relay
I guess I did not mean a switching relay. He has zone valves.

Trooper from what I read he is getting the 115 oil boiler. ( Are these condensing?)

I guess they dont come with a control and you buy that seperate.

Plus he has 6 zones, and the 2107 only has two circuits.

So why get the 2107? Isnt the taco 700 reset coupled with the 6 zone taco 406 exp controller a better option?
( Cheaper )

Mike NJ

Old 10-17-11, 07:42 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I was hoping you'd both reply. The 115 is not condensing, but seems like a mighty fine boiler.

Starting from scratch with the exception of 6 Taco zone valves in the hydronic baseboard system that spans 3 stories. The zones cover about half of a big "old stoney" in PA. A separate Viessman boiler radiant system heats a decade old addition.

Mike's observation is mine too...only two zone control circuit appear to be on the 2107. So the question is, if I like some of the specifically designed features of the 2107 that mates with the buderus indirect and the boiler, and have a good enough price to proceed down that road, how would I best control the 6 zones and a priority DHW?

The taco ZVC40?-EXP-1 system would need to be two controllers since the 6 zone is the largest. Guys, thanks for your thoughts. JR

Old 10-17-11, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well I am not sure what features you need with the 2107. Possibly you could eleborate?

The pc 700 taco unit I would prefer. It wires right to the zone controller. It has all you need IMO. Outdoor rest, warm weather shut down, maximum Boiler Supply, minimum Boiler Supply, differential, etc.

Here is the instruction on the pc 700.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...2(102-097).pdf

Now the pc 700 is for zone controllers with an expandable slot. So you get the 6 zone controller with priority. So 5 zones and the indirect.

That would be this zone controller ZVC406 expandable. Has alternate wiring for the indirect for the circulator where you jump 3 and 4 on the priority zone.

Also has wiring for a system circulator. Which your piping in correct?

ZVC 406 instructions
http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/102-108.pdf

Thats all you need IMO.

I will need to read more on the 2701, but I dont think it fits your needs. But its up to you.

Whats your thinking?

Mike NJ

Old 10-17-11, 08:52 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The 2107 is much more than just an ODR... there's a lot of features, too many to get into at this point in the discussion. One of the main features is that it also monitors the indirect water heater with a sensor. Over time it will 'learn' how hot to fire the boiler for HW demand, saving some fuel there. By using a 'room temperture sensor' it will run the largest zone in the home as 'constant circulation' and adjust the water temp to keep that zone at setpoint.

Check out the PDF file that Mike linked to. There is a diagram down a ways that shows a zone valved system. In all the diagrams I looked at, the indirect is run on a pump, even when the heat zones are valved. That's actually a good idea, you might consider that. In that way, you wouldn't need an extra zone on a control panel... BUT, the answer to your original question is NO, you don't need the ZVC panel to run the valves. Wire it discretely as shown in the diagram. Look at figures 11 and 13 for examples of multi-zone systems. You CAN use a ZVC panel though if you wish, it will 'neaten' the wiring a bit, but it's not required.

Since you are starting from scratch, you are free to design what works best and not have to 'make something existing' work the way you want it to.

Old 10-17-11, 09:07 PM
Excellent gentlemen!

I'll consult with my installer tomorrow. He's been great so far. Is letting me supply the big items with this install. I'll update you on the consensus down here. Thanks! JR

Old 10-17-11, 09:11 PM
One more thought; you mention neatening the wiring. That has to be one of the nicest features of a ZVC. I'm in hundreds of basements and the spaghetti results I've seen are just wacky. I'd love to clean that aspect of this installation up.

Old 10-17-11, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Check out the PDF file that Mike linked to.
That would be page 30-31 here. That set up looks appealing.

http://www.buderus.us/files/20100623..._06%202010.pdf

Would you have to wire an additional transformer for the two more zones?

So zone #1 will consantly circulate and the room sensor will fire the boiler to maintain the temp in that room? Additionally trying to maintain the min, boiler temp while doing so?

But what if all the other zones call for heat and the boiler ramps up in temp? Right? Would'nt zone #1 get hot? I know the other zones will not fire the boiler because there is no end switch on them..but...

Just thinking out loud.

Mike NJ

Old 10-18-11, 04:54 AM
Get the 2107. It's a great control that offers much, much more than the PC700. (Nothing against the PC700. Have often suggested that for other applications.)

Use the ZVC for the zone control, wire to provide required voltage and contacts. 2107 plus Taco zone control is a common application.

For zone valves, you might also look at the Taco Zone Sentry valve or whatever they call it. Very low power draw.