Oil Burner ignites but then turns off

Old 10-17-11, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Burner ignites but then turns off

My Oil boiler was flooded during tropical storm lee. I have a Beckett AFG burner. I replaced everthing that was under water (controls, CAD eye, pump, motor, nozzle, oil filter). It fires right up but then shuts down (no air in the system and I cleaned flue). Do I need to set the pressure of the pump or would the factory setting be correct? The new pump is a Suntec A2VA. The pump I replaced is a beckett cleancut A2EA.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-11, 05:09 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What primary control did you use for the replacement?

Your old burner had a control on it which opened and closed an OIL VALVE on the CleanCut pump... your new pump has no such oil valve...

The old control was probably a 7184 ? and the new one is ?

If that control 'sees' flame on the CAD cell before it expects to, it will shut down the burner. Since your new pump has no oil valve, the burner is most likely firing IMMEDIATELY...

You need to do more than simply adjust the fuel pressure... the entire burner needs to be 'set up' and a combustion check done.

Old 10-17-11, 06:02 PM
The new control is Honeywell R7284u-1004. The new pump matched right up with the old pump. Both have the plug-in (not sure if that is the oil valve.

Old 10-19-11, 03:22 PM
Double check the wiring diagram for the control. It should have separate wires for the igniter, motor and oil valve. Sounds like you might have wired it incorrectly and it's shutting off the motor when it should be shutting off the igniter. The 7184U is a universal control that can do interrupted ignition. Igniter is blue, motor is orange and oil pump solenoid is violet.

Yes the plug with wires coming from the top of the oil pump is for the solenoid valve.

The pressure should be checked, normally they are 100psi +/- 5psi from the factory but best to be sure and it's always possible your OEM specs call for higher pump pressures.

Old 10-19-11, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Is the pump is an A2VA-3006? If so & there is no delay listed on the solenoid housing, set the "valve on delay" in the control for at least 5 seconds. I prefer either 15 or 30 seconds.

Old 10-19-11, 08:30 PM
NJT
Grady, are you thinking same as I am that the cad cell is seeing flame during trial for ignition? because there is no delay set on the control?

Except that I presumed that the A2VA was the base model without the solenoid valve... I believe that's the 7116 model?

Old 10-19-11, 08:40 PM
NJT
Perhaps we should ask about the bypass plug also?

Is your fuel system ONE pipe or TWO pipes from the tank?

What did you do with the bypass plug when you installed the pump?

Old 10-20-11, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
The seeing flame during trial for ignition is exactly what I was thinking. The A2VA-7716 does not have an oil valve but the A2VA-3006 does. If wired incorrectly the cad cell would see flame during trial for ignition & promply shut the burner down.