shopping for oil provider

Old 10-19-11, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shopping for oil provider

hi all Ė

Looks like maybe my oil provider has gone out of business. Real small company. So looks like I have to shop around to find someone to deliver oil.

Seems like many providers in my area only like to deliver oil when they also have a service contract for the system. This includes a yearly tune-up, better rates for emergency service calls, and some replacement parts when needed without additional cost. Thanks to this forum Iíve been doing my own maintenance for years now. My current guy (till now) whom I found several years ago would deliver oil on demand without a service contract.

I have three questions concerning shopping for a new provider:

(1) The last guy told me he used a special additive to prevent the steel tank from rusting. Is this something you should make sure any provider would do?

(2) I donít have a handle on whether most providers only want the business if it also includes a yearly service contract, or is that atypical and really most providers will deliver oil without the service contract? I guess maybe it would vary with the area of the country? I live in southeast PA. The reason Iím asking is that I donít want to beat my head against a brick wall if it is very unlikely that you are able to find a provider that is happy to just deliver oil. I guess Iíd bite the bullet and pay for a service contract even though I really donít want one.

(3) If there is anything anyone would suggest should be done when shopping for an oil provider Iíd be grateful to hear it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-11, 03:40 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I buy my oil from a local 'co-op'. It's run by a fellow at a local church and they save me about 0.25 a gallon average. I know that a few cents a gallon goes to the church kitty which is just fine with me.

What this fella does is shop around the local 'independent' delivery companies and gets the best price.

Check and see if there's something like that in your area. Otherwise just start calling. We've got about a half dozen independent companies in our area... and also several of the 'others'.

Old 10-19-11, 03:53 PM
Trooper thanks a bunch. Good pointers. Gives me a good direction and good hope! I think our two areas of the country are close and kind of the same.

Thanks again!

Old 10-19-11, 04:22 PM
My wife grew up in a NE suburb of Philly (Levittown), where everyone got one stick of a tree and an oil tank buried in the in the yard.

The oil suppliers there provided service on the appliances, including the furnace. The oil suppliers also warranted the tank (including removal and replacement). Her parents were locked in since they could not get that anywhere, but they could even save a few pennies, but possibly face the cost of removal, soil disposal and replacement of a tank and she was lucky enough to sell the house later without the willow tree and any pollution liability.

Dick

Old 10-19-11, 04:55 PM
NJT
Did someone say 'oil tank in the ground' ? my nightmare...

I always take the opportunity to plead with ppl that have tanks still in the ground... GET THEM OUT! NOW! or else:

The truck isn't really in the hole... photo shopped in for size comparison... just in case you were wondering.

Old 10-19-11, 05:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm a big advocate of ultra low sulfur fuel. Equipment, especially a cold start boiler, stays groups cleaner. To me it's worth a few extra cents if that's what it takes.

Hey Troop,
Is that the world famous Trooper?

Old 10-19-11, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
My wife grew up in a NE suburb of Philly (Levittown), where everyone got one stick of a tree and an oil tank buried in the in the yard.
Ö
I grew up in NE Philly, which is not far from Levittown. Had friends in Levittown many many years ago. Didnít realize they were on oil. Makes sense. Seemed like the wilderness to me back then.lol

Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I'm a big advocate of ultra low sulfur fuel. Equipment, especially a cold start boiler, stays groups cleaner. To me it's worth a few extra cents if that's what it takes.
Ö
Thanks Grady! Iíll look for that.

Old 10-19-11, 08:46 PM
NJT
Is that the world famous Trooper?
Yessir, it sho nuff is! That pic was right after her tri-annual springtime wash and wax. She's lookin' a lot longer in the tooth these days! as is her driver.